Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got power into the driver's side kick panel, installed an extra fuse box, got fog lights on rear of roof rack, ran wires from lights, installed switch, wired the whole thing to the relay:
85 to Ground
86 to Switch
87 to Lights (Positive)
30 to Fuse Box (New w/ 20A fuse)

Everything works, so what's the problem you ask? After standing back and admiring my work (and to my amazement that it actually works), I happened to look at the schematic for the relay on the back of the package. The diagram there had Terminal 87 as 12V in and Terminal 30 as 12V supply out. Does it make a difference if the hot from the battery goes to 30 or 87 and the load to the other? Easily changed, but the damn thing works, and I have learned my lesson (again) that "Better is the enemy of Good." Should I leave it as is or swap the wires to the two terminals?

·
on line
807 Posts
It doesn't make a difference. That is the 'coil' side of the relay. When you flip a switch, that coil energizes creating a magnetic field, which flips a metal contact to complete the circuit (the switching side of the relay).

If you imagine a coil of wire wrapped around an iron rod, pin 30 and 87 would just be both ends of that piece of wire, so there is no difference which is 'in' or 'out'.

Edit: After re-reading your post, it sounds like 30 and 87 are actually the switching side of the relay. But you are still fine. All the switching side consists of is 2 contacts that get pulled together by the coil.

Ok, all of that and all I really had to say was "you'll be fine", lol.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the schematic, I thought it didn't matter. Didn't really understand the coil/switching side thing until you explained it, but I was pretty sure that once the juice went to the relay, all it did was connect the two terminals together. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts