Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

regular scheduled maintnence

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rckev 
#1 ·
i just changed my rear diff fluid and now im wondering if i should have the transmission flushed, or if i should just drain the trans fluid and put some new fluid in. i kno that if i just drain the fluid, i would only get about half of the old fluid out. i only have 32,000 miles. the stealership said that it is recomended that i flush the transmission. well to make a long story short, what is ure thoughts on getting my trans flushed. should i, or should i just drain what fluid i can and put some new fluid in?

#4 ·
i flushed mine at 30k.

#5 ·
Somewhere a while back, USMC did a how to DIY tranny fluid change same as a flush. Try a search.

If I recall, you disconnect one of the hoses going from the tranny to the transmission cooler and determine which is going out and which is return by momentarily starting the engine. Then put a hose from the return to a container of fresh clean ATF fluid and the out to an empty container. Shut the engine off after the out fluid appears clear and reconnect your trans lines to the cooler. You need a couple quarts extra to make sure you have sufficient fluid to fully flush.

#6 ·
#9 ·
If you don't tow heavy or frequently, the trans should be fine to 100k miles. I know some people won't agree with that and I don't care- that's fine, it's your $. My drivetrain philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with the possible exception of driveshaft u-joint lubrication (if possible). the hypoid gear lube should be good to go for years also. Is the nissan diff oil synthetic? I could understand the argument that you live in Wy or Alaska and you need thin gear oil, but not so much because you think it will make your stuff last longer.

I would leave the drivetrain be and let it got for 5 years. What is often overlooked is the cooling system maintenance. every two or three years, you should flush the coolant. Another thing I do is flush the brake fluid when I do a brake job (50k miles typically) because brake fluid attracts water after a long time.

#11 ·
flushing doesn't do half of what they say. Why would yu put clean fluid in with the old dirty filter?

the best thing to do is drop your pan change your filter

then fill your tranny back up with the cheapest compatable fluid you can buy

Pull your cooler lines as described above and pour in more fluid as it pumps the old out.

I would flush with royal purple,amsoil,or redline they ar about the same cost as original equipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.