Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Here's a little background on my X. I've been on this forum off and on since near the beginning and I figured I should give back and share some of my research and lift experience. I've had my X since new in December 2005, got 120K on the odo now. It's had a 2" spacer / Deaver dual AAL lift from PRG that I got around 2008-2009. I've never had a problem with that since I lived in DFW forever (I don't anymore) and there's just not much opportunity for off-roading around there. But, lately I've noticed my 2" over time has settled to 1 1/2", I do get CBC with this setup, the shocks are all shot (still factory!), and it will soon become my play vehicle instead of the wife's DD. And thanks to the 'Rona and extra $ from a stimulus check, and even more research, parts are now on their way!

As much as I would have loved to Titan swap (or even get extended length coilovers for that matter), I know I won't need it for what I do and I'll stay in the 2-3" lift range. I am still on a decent budget so I'm definitely looking for the bang for my buck. So far I've got on the way 5100s for the front with the Alldogs Offroad medium duty spring. Shout out to @AlldogsOffroad, @Ffxcores, @General_Tarfun, @EMT760, and @pgeldz for sharing their experiences and answering questions that helped me decide on things. With this setup in the front, it is being reported from other ADO spring users that there's no CBC with stock UCAs, you pretty much get a full 2" lift, and the ride is really good so I'm looking forward to all that. If I want to upgrade to 3" in the future, I'll add a spacer on top and be looking for the new ADO UCA, which is reportedly going to cost around $350 (from FB) and should be available really soon.

Out back, for now anyway, I'm looking to leave it at 1 1/2" so I can decrease the rake a little (with the 2" in front). My first vehicle was a 1985 Toyota 4Runner that had the rear end sag, and that's just kinda nostalgic for me, and I never tow anything anyway so I don't need an HD leaf pack or anything. My AALs have not been abused and seem to be holding up fine. But anyway, after going back and forth on the Xterra 5100s and 5125s, I decided on the Frontier 5100s for the rear. Everything I've read says they'll bolt up just fine without having to change out the lower bushings and they're about an inch longer than stock shocks. Referencing the shock travel thread here, the travel and compressed/extended lengths for the Frontier 5100s are in between the X 5100s and 5125s. Later if I take the front to 3" and I want to lift the rear more, I'll either add an adjustable shackle, or replace the whole leaf pack and then upgrade to longer shocks.

And if anyone is wondering about Alldogs since they're relatively new to the scene, their customer service is great. I ordered their springs and a hat, and they called me within an hour of ordering because the hat was out of stock and we worked it out. They were also going to ship the order the same day with free 2 day priority shipping, and they also worked with me to adjust that since I didn't expect to get it so fast!

So now I've got a mod day coming in a few weeks!

·
on line
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear it guys! I got my shocks and springs today so needless to say I’m excited! Might get a little time to throw on the rears and get the fronts assembled at a local shop this week. The fronts will have to wait until next week.

85BBAF74-89B2-447B-8C79-030998EB1E38.jpeg
D2B88DAF-7B93-4A11-82B9-2F372CE9CAC4.jpeg

When I get the old parts out I’ll take some side by side photos for comparison.

·
on line
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, last weekend I got the diff/axle breather kit from Offroad Gorilla installed. Also finally chucked the rear sway bar, and got the new rear shocks on. I can confirm, if anyone is interested, that these Frontier 5100 shocks bolt right up normally. I haven't driven them much, but I can already tell for on-road driving I have dampening back for all the small bumps, and the rear feels much more controlled over larger bumps. You can see how much longer they are, but of course I forgot to measure to show exactly how much. I mainly chose these because they seem to be a good option for someone who doesn't quite need the length of the 5125s but wants a little more travel than the X 5100s. Now I'm looking around for replacement bump stops that aren’t the cost of Timbrens since the compressed length of these is .5" longer than stock.

Stock rear shock vs Frontier 5100 rear.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts