Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this improve the ride quality? The ride is very nice as is but I am looking to make it better. Are there any adverse effects besides losing the lift height?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
I run mine with almost No preload (about 1/2" lift). Nothing adverse at all. You will notice a your ride will not be quite as harsh and you're effectively maximizing travel as it allows the shock to move through it's full range of motion.

·
on line
30 Posts
what about running a spacer over the coilover? What kind of clearance can you keep with that. I hear there could be upper bucket contact if you do. Also I think you have to run a new uca if you go this rout.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bhbeecham said:
what about running a spacer over the coilover? What kind of clearance can you keep with that. I hear there could be upper bucket contact if you do. Also I think you have to run a new uca if you go this rout.
That was he route I was considering going, but after talking with Greg and really getting an understanding of what I was looking for in the ride, I decided that I need to go with the longer Radflo's and a new UCA, and just reduce those to desired height (appx 2 1/4"), giving me the ability to take full advantage of the ability of the shock. I'll be getting these by the end of next week and install them next weekend.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I talked myself into it, thinking it is the way I should have gone from the beginning. After doing the research with Texas and New York, neither of them have any rules or regs against the Heim joint (Spherical Rod Ending) in the suspension, so I will be going with PRG's UCA. Is it superior, I don't really know, but after the dealing with Greg on everything so far, I'd rather buy a product I know I can get good support for.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
USArmyX, do yourself a favor and find a set of the other arms to compare against, I think you will easily see the difference. And as far as a hiem inner pivot, what do you think is on the outer pivot...a heim (or spherical bearing, basically the same style of bearing) on either company's arm. Your coilovers also use a spherical bearing on both ends.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PrerunnerGreg said:
USArmyX, do yourself a favor and find a set of the other arms to compare against, I think you will easily see the difference. And as far as a hiem inner pivot, what do you think is on the outer pivot...a heim (or spherical bearing, basically the same style of bearing) on either company's arm. Your coilovers also use a spherical bearing on both ends.
I hope you didn't take my "superior" comment wrong. I have full faith in your knowledge, and after our conversation the other night, I was sold. I really don't have much knowledge on suspension elements. This is the first vehicle I have ever modified for Off Road use, so I am kind of learning as I go. I am just taking in everything that everyone tells me.

·
on line
750 Posts
So far, my new UCA's and Radflos drive fairly well on the street..I was surprised. I'll know for sure after I get it aligned and put a few hundred miles on.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my setup (PRG UCA's and Longer Radflo Coil Overs) installed and couldn't be happier. It rides very nicely now. I am only running the Coil Over at about 1 1/4" of preload and it is perfect. I am ready to put it to the test this coming week, on a 1700 mile journey to Maryland.

·
on line
750 Posts
I have the PRG UCA's as well. They's some beefy mofo's.

Finally got the alignment dialed in and it took care of some of the minor shimmies and vibrations. Probably will shim the rear axle to straighten things out with the drive shaft and a very minor vibration from the rear.

Greg adjusted my coilovers for about 2.8" of lift and there is some stiffness but it will probably be taken care of when the Shrock bumper gets installed. On the whole, very happy with the set up on the street and I have taken it on some bumpy forest roads in the Verde Valley where it really shined. Small bumps are irksome but when you hit the big ones everything smooths out very nicely...which is kinda bad because it makes me want to race through the desert. lol

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am running with 650lbs springs so I don't have the stiffness, I am very pleased. I agree about the UCA's, the pictures don't them justice at all.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already here in MD, playing the game for good old Uncle Sam for the next couple of months. If I was back home I would for sure run up there and help you out in SA, but it will be a few more months until I move to New York State and I don't think I'll be making any trips to Canada until then, plus the time it takes me to get a new Passport.

On the ride, I couldn't be happier. There are a lot of rough highways between Texas and Maryland that I could see but couldn't feel nearly as much as I did with the stock components. Now if I can just quit dropping into this pothole that is here at the academy, I might conserve on the life span, saving it for intended off road time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts