Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running redlines' water wetter ? i drained my coolant then added distilled water with prestone radiator flush for 15 minutes.... then i drained and filled with the 900ml prestone and distilled water ... followed with redlines water wetter.... i have been running it for the last 10 days.... i can actually see my engine temp lower then when i ran coolant. i am not sure but i think i have to replace every 3 months.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK, I'll bite what is the water wetter? Without any searching I'm going to guess that it's a surfactant, breaking down the surface tension of the water might give you some additional energy transfer; sounds promising. I'll wait and find out how it works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
OK, I'll bite what is the water wetter? Without any searching I'm going to guess that it's a surfactant, breaking down the surface tension of the water might give you some additional energy transfer; sounds promising. I'll wait and find out how it works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
You nailed it. A similar product that has been given good reviews is...

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer.
Purple Ice fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale deposits in the radiator. It also lubricates the water pump seals.
Purple Ice should always be used
in conjunction with antifreeze in regions where freezing temperatures occur. Purple Ice is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-Cool® antifreeze.

http://www.royalpurple.com/street-thunder-2.html

·
on line
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i poured the redline in the radiator, i wanted to put a little water in the bottle and shake it around to get all the pink stuff out..... lots of bubbles formed but within seconds the bubbles went away.... so according to their website, it allows the fluids in the radiator/cooling system to flow more efficiently... i am impressed so far... temp is a little lower then with coolant.... and was able to get 200 miles for 1/2 tank of gas. autozone down here cant get me a scanguage i ordered so i will have to wait a month to get one down here and compare temp #'s.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There was a thread on this topic last year - there are several of us using Redline Water Wetter and several using the Royal Purple.

I am a firm believer in the products - Redline works great for me and have heard good reports about the other. I use it in my dirt bikes, boat, 2 cars and 2 trucks. I was having problems in my Miata and dirt bikes with the summer heat and not getting good cooling with even with large aftermarket aluminum radiators when not moving at a good clip - the Water Wetter dropped temps over 10 degrees. I can really tell the difference in traffic in the Miata, keeps the engine from getting extremely hot and the valves from rattling. The dirt bikes seem to do better on really hot days too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use it in my motorcyle and it works great! I heard somewhere that coolant has rust/corrosion properties that the water wetter does not. Only draw back.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been using the stuff in my sportbike for years, for anyone in the desert it's pretty much a must-have. Especially on bikes which rely heavily on air-flow

·
on line
4,434 Posts
As a surficant it works well. What it physically does is break up some of the water's cohesive properties in order to minimize the boundary layer of the coolant flowing through the radiator. Picture a river flowing along. The water along the banks hardly moves at all, even though out in the middle of the channel it could be a raging torrent. There is a gradient of flow velocity ranging from zero right at the bank to the max velocity in the middle of the channel.

This occurs especially in water because it has both adhesive and cohesive properties.

The effect in a heat exchanger such as a radiator is that the coolant with zero to low flow along the surfaces forms a 'boundary layer' that slows down the heat transfer rate. Minimize the boundary layer, and heat transfer rates increase.

My only concern in the Xterra is that the chemistry of the coolant seems to be extremely critical for preserving the radiator from corrosion, and the dreaded 'radiator killed my transmission' problems. If you've got a manual transmission, or have bypassed the automatic transmission cooler in the radiator, then that becomes far less of an issue.

My other thoughts on this is that the OEM cooling system as designed seems to provide plenty of adequate cooling in all of the conditions I've driven it in (towing heavy trailers in the hot summer with the AC on full blast going uphill, going offroad in the raging summer heat in the desert, ect). If you've noticed you're no longer getting this type of cooling, have noted a degredation in the performance, then something physically is degraded in the system... fouling in the radiator from corrosion... water pump isn't pumping as much volume as it used to.... thermostat stuck partially open, something. The Water Wetter may help alleviate some of those symptoms, but it won't fix the underlying problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Water Wetter

We are not permitted to use coolant/antifreeze in our track motorcycles*, so we use water plus water wetter. Works great, no issues. Just have to remember before I store it for the winter, as it provides no freezing protection.

Dan B

*The issue is dumping antifreeze on teh track in the event of an accident or motor failure. Water wetter apparently hoses off, antifreeze not so much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My other thoughts on this is that the OEM cooling system as designed seems to provide plenty of adequate cooling in all of the conditions I've driven it in (towing heavy trailers in the hot summer with the AC on full blast going uphill, going offroad in the raging summer heat in the desert, ect). If you've noticed you're no longer getting this type of cooling, have noted a degredation in the performance, then something physically is degraded in the system... fouling in the radiator from corrosion... water pump isn't pumping as much volume as it used to.... thermostat stuck partially open, something. The Water Wetter may help alleviate some of those symptoms, but it won't fix the underlying problem.
In more extreme areas, like down here in the south (especially Arizona and New Mexico) the factory cooling system may not keep up. While most do have sufficient heat exchange capability for the majority of the intended use areas coupled with intended towing ranges - I can't recall that any of the auto manufacturers build the main line vehicles to handle towing in 105+ temperatures (I left the auto industry about 7 years ago, so that could have changed).

I've had problems with my X towing my 21' boat in Southern Texas, especially last summer when it was over 100 deg's for over 60 days. My truck has less than 36k miles on it, and has had very good maintenance of the entire cooling system. I've already changed the coolant twice and a few of the hoses (I'm the nervous kind of guy when towing for 900 miles and going through Death Valley), along with DI water top offs only.

I use the Water Wetter in the X just because I use it in my other engines that I have had issues with, just hoping to avoid problems with the X. I'd be very sad if I melted it down!

Best is my boat, it has a "fresh water" cooling system that has an enclosed circuit like a regular vehicle and then also uses lake water to cool the "fresh" water - it has made my water pumps last a lot better. This is probably due to lower heat at the pump which saves the bearings, which saves the seal. At alomst $550 per pump, I was getting d*mn tired of replacing one every other year (yes I put that many hours on the boat).

·
on line
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am running about 1 quart of coolant with distilled water and one bottle of water wetter...... should i have more coolant???? i was not sure how much coolant is in the whole system and from what i read i should have 15% coolant with distilled water and the 1 bottle of water wetter...... and i plan to flush and do it again in 3 months.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i am running about 1 quart of coolant with distilled water and one bottle of water wetter...... should i have more coolant???? i was not sure how much coolant is in the whole system and from what i read i should have 15% coolant with distilled water and the 1 bottle of water wetter...... and i plan to flush and do it again in 3 months.
Total capacity of the cooling system should be about 10.8 quarts (Radiator, hoses, water pump and engine block).

Typically you should run between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is the minimum to provide sufficient amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, more than 70% antifreeze will cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. So, you are going to want to run between 5.4 -7.5 quarts of antifreeze in your radiator.

You can easily check the concentration levels with:

Test Strips-

Antifreeze/Coolant Tester-

Or something a little more accurate that also checks battery acid...

Extech Battery Coolant/Glycol Refractometer

I use this last item because it is more accuarte and I'm a nerd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts