Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone swapped out factory trans fluid and replaced it with the Redline ATF transmission fluid? Just curious because I have a few bottles laying around, but I am not sure if only genuine nissan trans oil should be used.

·
on line
120 Posts
I'm a BIG Amsoil fan and have had an account with them for over a decade. Most fluids in my truck are Amsoil except for the transfer case and MT. I use Redline D4 ATF in the TC because it's got a GL4 extreme pressure rating.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Also found this one from Castrol that claims it meets Matic J specs:

CASTROL Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...G/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

And this was interesting:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/capacities.html

Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP.

This Amsoil TSB says AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is NOT recommended for use where Matic J is called for but it's dated 2/24/2006.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/TSB_automatic_trans_fluid.pdf

·
on line
53 Posts
I used Redline in my Harley's tranny. Good stuff. I would not hesitate to use it in a truck, so long as it was up to the manufacturer's specs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bumping this old thread.

I used redline d4 atf in my honda civic for about 50k miles. I now need to change the fluids in my 05 X.

Redline D4 Atf

Our most versatile ATF, use where Dexron III®, Dexron II®, Mercon® and Mercon V® fluids are recommended, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF Z1, NissanMatic D, J, K, & S, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW, Audi, VW automatic transmissions

cost is about 11.00 a quart for the redline d4 atf. free shipping

Amsoil is 9.00 a quart. But does not cover the matic-s. "Nissan Matic D, J & K" yet this is the most popular on chat boards...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yup I use nissan matic S

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would use Nissan ATF. I know a guy that used something different and burned up his trans.
You're not talking about Sleeper, are you?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Redline D4 ftw! I've used this stuff in an Audi A6 I owned with great results, and those ZF transmissions were known to be problematic. I've also been running it in the Xterra's TRANSFER CASE for the past 60,000 km, and used their MT85 in the transmission, (6MT) and it shifts like a hot knife thru buttah, smooooth. If it meets the requirements of NIssan, go for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 6 quarts of Redline D4 sitting on the shelf. I will probably use it once I am out of Nissan S Matic.

I got lazy and have gone the route of sucking it out the fill hole. Getting 4 quarts at a time. I am thinking I will run 10 quarts through it and then start swapping out 4 quarts every other oil change.

·
TNX Veteran
4,187 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not faster or easier. Seriously pumping it out takes 10 minutes. No need to remove any shields. One bolt removed to get to filler/level stick out of the way. Then stick the hose in and pump the jug 5-10 times and walk away. Come back measure what came out and refill. The fluid has been pretty clean from the start. It doesn't get it all out, but ever bit as good as drain and fill without getting your hands dirty. It is this or nothing for me at this point. Got other things to do. I need one less JetSki. (rebuilt supercharger on a POS Seadoo this weekend)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts