Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, have the 2010 x - offroad, the only addition being shrockworks sliders. Last year my truck slid off the road upstate and luckily i was near my buddy's house who brought his atv over with a winch and we did a 2:1 around a tree to pull my truck out.

Seeing how my truck doesn't have a trailer hitch and no real other way to attach a winch, and the only real recovery point is the stock front end hook, what would you use to get it out of a ditch/snow bank if needed?

Hi-Lift jack and tow strap? Come along?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can always hook to the spring shackles in the rear, but installing some more easily accessed recovery points will pay off in the long run...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am heading back upstate friday night, so i was looking for a quick fix for this week, i would love to order the shrockworks bumper but it seems every time i have the cash, i don't have the time, and when i have the time, i don't have the cash (vicious circle)....

assuming i would either tie to the front tow hook or maybe spring shackle in the rear, what device would be the best to use to facilitate recovery other than a winch that requires mounting?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Buy the rockymtn brackets or buying a trailer hitch are going to be the easy, fastest, and cheapest way. The shrock bumpers take a while for them to build. So if you ordered when you had the money you might have the extra time when you get it.

But being that you wanted it for this weekend your best bet might just be to hook to the shackles (though not the proper way so be careful) or the front hook
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but what device would be the best to use?

Hi-Lift jack with winch kit, or a standard come along or something else?

·
on line
4,594 Posts
assuming i would either tie to the front tow hook or maybe spring shackle in the rear, what device would be the best to use to facilitate recovery other than a winch that requires mounting?
Assuming you have attachment points on your vehicle and a Hi-Lift(tm) then use the Hi-Lift(tm) as a come-along. It is designed to be used that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldBPnzohtI

Note the assume vehicle that they are demonstrating on.
:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you, i have never used the hi-lift for winching, i know its meant for that, but a lot of things have an intended purpose, and they suck haha

·
Registered
901 Posts
Get a decent come along. For a minor stuck in the snow it'll be plenty, just slower and more work than a winch. I've never used a Hi-Lift as a come-along but it looks like a PITA.

Also, drive better, stay on the road.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts

·
on line
4,594 Posts
thank you, i have never used the hi-lift for winching, i know its meant for that, but a lot of things have an intended purpose, and they suck haha
Hey, it's called "self rescue" for a reason.

Yes, it would suck.
But what's the alternative when you're stuck in the middle of BFE?
Assuming you even have a Cell signal, many Tow Companies will not come to BFE to extract you.

Trust me when I tell you, either you'd be doing the Snoopy Dance that you had a Hi-Lift available or you'd pulling on your hiking boots.

You'd be surprised how quickly the Hi-Lift works as a winching tool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts