Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 2005 Xterra SE 4x4 with an automatic transmission and currently has 162,000 miles on it. I have kept up with all of the recommenced maintenance intervals to date. I even had the radiator replaced at my own expense as a preventative measure as soon as I heard about the SMOD issue. I did have the timing chain guides replaced at approximately 96k miles due to a whining issue and it has been running fine since. In the past, I have owned a Nissan Maxima which required replacement of the timing belt every 60k miles to avoid catastrophic engine failure which I followed for 19 years and it ran perfectly even to the day that I traded it in for for my current Xterra. I asked the service dept at the dealer when I had the guides replaced on my Xterra to see if the same catastrophic engine failure would occur if the timing chain failed on it. I was willing to have it replaced as a preventative measure when the guides were replaced but they assured me that engine damage would not happen if that were the case. Is this true? I can’t find anything in the owners manual on the recommended interval for timing chain replacement on the Xterra. I realize my Maxima had a timing “belt” and my X has a “chain”. Any suggestions on a vehicle that I plan on keeping as long as possible? Just a side note: I did have the water pump and thermostat replaced at the same time as a preventative measure to avoid future labor costs. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Timing chains, outside of the guide issue which you’ve resolved, shouldn’t be a maintenance item. The new guides should have been the new design so they should last the life of the motor. Could some crazy set of circumstances cause them to break? Sure, but it’s just as likely a meteor crashes into your X tonight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Timing chains, outside of the guide issue which you’ve resolved, shouldn’t be a maintenance item. The new guides should have been the new design so they should last the life of the motor. Could some crazy set of circumstances cause them to break? Sure, but it’s just as likely a meteor crashes into your X tonight.
This. My original, faulty ones lasted 187k and the only thing worn was one secondary tensioner guide.

I never expect to do it again, that's for sure

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agreed. Unless something super-extremely-would-never-happen out of the ordinary happens, you'll never have to worry about the chain. The chain on the VQ series is pretty solid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So how much did they charge you to replace your tensioners?
When I said "I" never expect to do it again, that's what I meant I did it myself; it is not a fun job, especially up here in the northeast where everything is locked together with rust, but certainly doable in a garage.

So, cost was just parts, which I got from Brian at cherry hill Nissan at a discount, but he is gone, so ~$600 for Oem parts now I'd guess.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
So how much did they charge you to replace your tensioners?
There is a thread on here with much greater detail https://www.thenewx.org/threads/how-to-change-timing-chain-pbr.47728/

Mine on my 2008 S lasted 211,000 miles I think. I replaced everything including the water pump but old chains coming out looked fine - no wear, no slack - it was just the tensioner guides that wore out. I paid an independent shop locally $1700.00 for the whole thing. None of the stealers around here even wanted to quote it. I think the guides only would have been like $1100.00 or so? My understanding is that the OEM parts keep going up excessively however, so it is likely more now.

I agree that I wouldn't worry about it until they whine again - if ever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2005 Xterra SE 4x4 with an automatic transmission and currently has 162,000 miles on it. I have kept up with all of the recommenced maintenance intervals to date. I even had the radiator replaced at my own expense as a preventative measure as soon as I heard about the SMOD issue. I did have the timing chain guides replaced at approximately 96k miles due to a whining issue and it has been running fine since. In the past, I have owned a Nissan Maxima which required replacement of the timing belt every 60k miles to avoid catastrophic engine failure which I followed for 19 years and it ran perfectly even to the day that I traded it in for for my current Xterra. I asked the service dept at the dealer when I had the guides replaced on my Xterra to see if the same catastrophic engine failure would occur if the timing chain failed on it. I was willing to have it replaced as a preventative measure when the guides were replaced but they assured me that engine damage would not happen if that were the case. Is this true? I can’t find anything in the owners manual on the recommended interval for timing chain replacement on the Xterra. I realize my Maxima had a timing “belt” and my X has a “chain”. Any suggestions on a vehicle that I plan on keeping as long as possible? Just a side note: I did have the water pump and thermostat replaced at the same time as a preventative measure to avoid future labor costs. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
I could be wrong but I beleive these are non-interference engines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts