Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used MegaWarrior and I want to repaint it.

I was just going to use some Rust-oleum Professional High Performance Enamel.

Since I'm going through all the trouble to paint it, should I use something better and what would you recommend?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Use the rustolium primer (spray can) first, then use whatever you wanted to spray on. If you dont use the primer, then i would sand it down first. make sure you let it dry AT LEAST how much the instructions say (if not more).

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Just Por-15 it. It will never have any rust issues.

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked on the website and they sell a super started kit for only $16.50! It says it covers 12 sq ft. which should be plenty but I've heard sometimes what they say it covers isn't what it really covers. I emailed them so I should know soon.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
js479 said:
I just checked on the website and they sell a super started kit for only $16.50! It says it covers 12 sq ft. which should be plenty but I've heard sometimes what they say it covers isn't what it really covers. I emailed them so I should know soon.
Sounded like the starter kit does not have the top coat which you need in the sun. And a pint of that is around $30...

·
on line
496 Posts
Yep you'll need Chassis Coat for the rack. It's a semigloss. I coated my rear bumber and tire carrier in POR-15 and Chassis Coat and that stuff is the bomb. Takes a few days to cure all the way through but well worth the extra effort. My bumper survived the tool test after dropping a tool bags contents all over it. No scratches or chips. Just make sure you follow directions closely and apply plenty of coats to bring it up to thickness.

·
on line
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know the difference between the Blackcote and the Chassiscoat Black?
I checked the website but they have the exact same description.
I think if a pint will do it, it's worth it.

Used megawarrior - $100
POR-15 starter kit - $16.50
UV protective topcoat - $30.00

All in all - it will propable cost me a little over $160 to have a pretty much brand new roof rack.

Even better than brand new because this one will never rust! :cheers:

·
on line
3,217 Posts
You owe me a beer man. ;) Por-15 is something that I learned about back when I was working on my old 66 before I got turned on to the whole X scene and wheelin. That stuff is the bomb. You can't go wrong with it. :cheers:

·
on line
496 Posts
Black Kote is super glossy. Chassis coat is semi gloss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts