Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
What shovel fits/looks the best on the roof of the X. What size? I just ordered my quick fists.

Thanks

My last X had a full size Rigid spade shovel up there. Bedlined handle and red blade. Lived up there for 3 years or so. The spade sits at the rear end of the rack and handle ends at the wet box. Perfect fit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a full size Husky shovel that I clamp in before I hit the trail. I can throw any full-length tool up there I want though, the quick fists are great.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I have a full size fiberglass one I bought for $10 at Home Depot that I bed lined the handle black. I think it looks very clean. Regardless of what brand you get, I'd mainly just recommend going full size, not the short ones. If you ever use it, your back will thank you. (I use mine all the time, especially for camping to dig out or move fire stuff, or take a crap) I used quick fists for mine too.

Before I built a drop in rack:

After I built a drop in rack:

·
on line
14,627 Posts
So my two cents on this.
I think of shovels as purpose built tools.

i.e. spade shovel for digging,
wide square shovel for snow,
square shovel for desert sand etc......

I also believe the default shovel should be a spade when terrain is unknown as it can be used for most purposes including firefighting(I believe California requires a shovel to be carried in National Forest).

I have different shovels at the house and mount the one I need for the time of year and terrain. I have some fiberglass shovels but think that wooden handles stand up to UV damage better( if you permanently mount a shovel which I disagree with).

pretty sure we had a thread on this some time ago.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I keep one of these in my roof bin. it's good for snow loose dirt or sand. If I'm camping or going somewhere where i would need a full size shovel i just grab one from the shed.

LINK

I think those quick fists are over used and not safe for anything heavy outside the vehicle. I even saw one guy use them for strapping down a Hi-lift! You rear end someone with that thing not mounted correctly and you got a 75+pound cast iron missile on your hands.

I DO use them but only for light stuff like my ice scrapper on the inside of my rear hatch. I used them for years on my kayak and have lost the occasional paddle. Losing a paddle and killing someone on the HW are two very different things. A safety/security cable minimizes that risk but it's still not ideal IMO

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Surf and Snow, we may not agree on the QF but that rack of yours is dope! Do you make them for sale ? I'd definitely be interested in one if you do.

any more pics?

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
on line
22,508 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I keep one of these in my roof bin. it's good for snow loose dirt or sand. If I'm camping or going somewhere where i would need a full size shovel i just grab one from the shed.

LINK

I think those quick fists are over used and not safe for anything heavy outside the vehicle. I even saw one guy use them for strapping down a Hi-lift! You rear end someone with that thing not mounted correctly and you got a 75+pound cast iron missile on your hands.

I DO use them but only for light stuff like my ice scrapper on the inside of my rear hatch. I used them for years on my kayak and have lost the occasional paddle. Losing a paddle and killing someone on the HW are two very different things. A safety/security cable minimizes that risk but it's still not ideal IMO
nice find, just ordered mine! thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

LINK

IMO
Is the shape of this shovel adequate for "most" terrains or would a spade head be better for occasional backcountry trips with no snow.? I like the portability of that shovel though.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Is the shape of this shovel adequate for "most" terrains or would a spade head be better for occasional backcountry trips with no snow.? I like the portability of that shovel though.
That shovel is very small and very light duty. I carry the same one in my bag pack when snowboarding in backcountry. It's handy in that way, but would easily bend or break trying to actually dig into hard pack dirt. I would not recommend it at all for anything other than sand or snow.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That shovel is very small and very light duty. I carry the same one in my bag pack when snowboarding in backcountry. It's handy in that way, but would easily bend or break trying to actually dig into hard pack dirt. I would not recommend it at all for anything other than sand or snow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow... that IS small if you're carrying it in your backpack. Thanks for the reference.. it looked big enough in the pic. I might just get it though as an emergency EDC shovel in the X but will also get a heavy duty one for the backcountry adventures.

Thanks!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Wow... that IS small if you're carrying it in your backpack. Thanks for the reference.. it looked big enough in the pic. I might just get it though as an emergency EDC shovel in the X but will also get a heavy duty one for the backcountry adventures.

Thanks!
The bag pack I use isn't even a full size pack, it's a small 2L hydration pack backpack. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's for snow and digging out of i get buried in the sand. What more would you need in a shovel that's in or on you truck 365 days a year? If i know i have to go somewhere and dig a hole i bring a regular shovel. I wouldn't want it on my truck all year round though.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The bag pack I use isn't even a full size pack, it's a small 2L hydration pack backpack. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Pics or it didn't happen. No way it would fit in my hydro pack. Unless you're thinking of a different shovel or I'm thinking of a different pack

It's 32in long btw

1 - 20 of 26 Posts