Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please recommend me a decent but not way over the top expensive recovery kit for a weekener explorer like me.

I plan to do mostly back road exploring and camping driving through fire roads and gravel.. not the hardcore rock climbing stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I will probably be better to piece something together rather than a "kit".

If you want I can help you pick some stuff out.

The only thing is that judging by previous post of yours you seem to be solo most of the time. That requires a winch, come along, hand winch, etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will probably be better to piece something together rather than a "kit".

If you want I can help you pick some stuff out.

The only thing is that judging by previous post of yours you seem to be solo most of the time. That requires a winch, come along, hand winch, etc.
Yeah that's what I figured so I'll be ordering 2 of the Warn recovery straps and a tow strap. Also some shackles...

Still researching on other gear.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sir! Looking at those links right now and boy, do things add up! Accck.. but I guess that's the price you pay for for not dying alone in the back roads! :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

·
on line
10,980 Posts
If you don't already have one get yourself a hitch & receiver shackle mount ... assuming you still have a stock bumper. Or some bolt-on rear recovery brackets (RockyMtnX sells some), or make your own ... but those necessitate cutting into the rear bumper, something not everyone's willing to do.

Point being, that our trucks come with a factory front recovery point (tow hook) but nothing in the rear, unless you get/have a hitch ... then you need a way to attach a strap or winch (hence the receiver shackle mount).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't already have one get yourself a hitch & receiver shackle mount ... assuming you still have a stock bumper. Or some bolt-on rear recovery brackets (RockyMtnX sells some), or make your own ... but those necessitate cutting into the rear bumper, something not everyone's willing to do.

Point being, that our trucks come with a factory front recovery point (tow hook) but nothing in the rear, unless you get/have a hitch ... then you need a way to attach a strap or winch (hence the receiver shackle mount).
Yup got a receiver shackle mount already. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another question I have since we are on the recovery subject. I've seen in numerous posts that we shouldn't get straps with the metal hooks but if I don't, how do I attach it to the stuck vehicle? By the use of a shackle? I know it's probably an obvious question but I'm totally new to this so please bare with me.

I want to get the "right" gear on the first go and not have to order and return stuff like I just did ordering a 4" recovery strap. (waaay too big)

Thanks! :)

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Another question I have since we are on the recovery subject. I've seen in numerous posts that we shouldn't get straps with the metal hooks but if I don't, how do I attach it to the stuck vehicle? By the use of a shackle? I know it's probably an obvious question but I'm totally new to this so please bare with me.

I want to get the "right" gear on the first go and not have to order and return stuff like I just did ordering a 4" recovery strap. (waaay too big)

Thanks! :)

Shackles through the strap loops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
10,980 Posts
The hooks are bad because if they slip off, it can become a projectile headed back to the other end of the strap. You're correct, you want to use a shackle ... or barring the ability to use one (no attachment points on the other vehicle); potentially you could loop one end of the strap around an axle or control arm or frame member and pass the other end through (think 'slip-knot') ... but be wary of sharp edges, moving parts, off-axis pulls, etc ... potential for damage is high with this method, if the load path is not well understood.

ETA: Take a look through some of the threads in the general section, I think there's one on recovery and one on "tips and tricks" ... also, see if you can't dig up the "Billavista Recovery Bible" over on Pirate4x4. I've also seen links to PDFs of some of the Army's vehicle operations/recovery manuals ... there's a wealth of info out there, just takes time to find and go through. There are also classes available, if you're looking for more.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem is most things require another vehicle or a winch.

Stop being a recluse and join us for some wheeling and you wont have this problem :)
LOL trust me.. I would love to join you guys on an outing and learn what my X is capable of but working on the weekends have been kicking my ass.

I've ok'd it with the wife and she's more than happy to tag along cuz she loves to take pics.

Just waiting for work to slow down so I get out there and learn a thing or two :study:

But first things first.. got to get all the gear ready before I even attempt anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm no longer a serious off-roader, so I carry a very modest recovery kit.

Warn recovery strap from ebay (see other post) and a pair of shackles.
A hitch pin for a rear recovery point.
A tire patch kit.
An emergency air compressor.
A Cold Steel shovel (on order).

I also have a 9,000 lb come-along that I can throw in the truck if I go off-roading alone. Probably need to add a tree strap for this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has suggested a good length (15' or more) of good, strong chain. Tow straps are well and good, but sometimes chain is way better. This would especially helpful (not to mention convenient) in combination with the Hi-Lift's come-along capability. HPH

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has suggested a good length (15' or more) of good, strong chain. Tow straps are well and good, but sometimes chain is way better. This would especially helpful (not to mention convenient) in combination with the Hi-Lift's come-along capability. HPH

Chain is a horrible idea. Hence why nobody mentioned it. It breaks and kills people and causes damage to vehicles. Straps are just as strong if not stronger, much safer to use, and much lighter and easier to store.
If someone was stuck and asked me to pull them out with chain I would leave them SOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 39 Posts