Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Xterra 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a rear ladder from Gobi back in November, so going on seven months ago now. At the time they listed their usual 8-12 week lead time, but unsurprisingly they sent a few emails earlier this year saying they were behind, certainly understandable they'd have disruptions. However, I've now been on a cycle of calling them every month or so and having them tell me the ladder will enter production in two weeks. Except the next time I call it's two more weeks out. And now it's been 30 weeks and as far as I can tell the ladder isn't even in production.

Has anyone else had this experience from Gobi recently? I thought Gobi had one of the better names in the industry but I feel like I'm being given the run around and I'm on the verge of trying to cancel my order (even though they say all orders are final).

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Xterra S 4WD
12 Posts
I ran into a similar issue last year during the peak Covid havoc. I had ordered something (can't remember now) from a company I had used several times earlier with great results. I had expectations based on previous orders of when the item should ship. Well, it didn't. I reached out via email and they told me that Covid had really messed them up and it should be out in a week. A couple of weeks passed with no update, so I reached out again (via email). Got the runaround. Tried to call and only got a recording and couldn't leave a message. This went on for 90 days. I even told them that if they couldn't deliver an "In Stock" item in 90 days I didn't care what their policy was, I was getting my money back and was NOT going to pay a "restocking" fee.

Needless to say I had to go to the bank and contest the charge. I got my money back, but my account at the retailer was closed and I cannot register with them now (their choice.) If they cannot deliver a promised product you can get your money back, but don't plan on ever ordering from them again. If you used a credit card you have 60 days to contest a charge. In my case since I had been in contact with the seller since before the 60-day limit I was still covered. Phone calls likely won't be enough. How badly do you want the ladder? How badly do you want to do business w/Gobi?

I hope this helps. . .

JG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Same exact Gobi experience, glad to hear I'm not alone. I ordered a ladder during their black Friday sale (when you would think that they were hoping for more sales?) - still waiting.

It's not exactly mission critical for me, I've been getting along fine without one for nearly 10 years now, so I'm not super upset about it, but I do want it and have the money pulled aside, so if they happen to reach out and say it's ready, I'll take it. In the meantime, if one shows up here or on craigslist or something that's a reasonable drive, I'll pick that up instead.

My opinion is that the profit margin is just not there, they are probably short staffed like everybody else, cost of materials keeps rising, etc.... they are probably focusing their efforts on higher margin items like 4runner racks.

It's not easy out there, if and when they get around to it, I'll be happy to support a local business, but I'm not going to pay surge pricing - my order is still solid at the price we agreed on, I hope they get back to it soon.

·
Registered
2012 Xterra Pro4x
88 Posts
I placed an order last week knowing it would take forever and a day. There was a post last month where someone waited 9 months from start to delivery. I was quoted 12 weeks which I know is BS but I’ll play the waiting game for now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So this thread inspired me to give them a call - 15 minutes on hold, but it turns out I'm scheduled to ship by the end of the month, so alls well that ends well. I'll post up if/when it actually happens, but to be honest in all of my conversations with me they've been pretty open and honest, this is the first time they've ever promised a shipping date, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Like I said before, it's not mission critical but I want it and it's budgeted, would like to get it before the budget goes to something stupid like food or utilities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting, I placed my order for a ladder in 11/28/2020, it arrived mid April so about 5 months of waiting - still not ideal. On the flip side, I placed an order for an Expedition One front bumper mid December and it still hasnt arrived. Been over 6 months now..

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a completely different experience. First off, I ordered mine through 4x4 Parts, not Gobi themselves. When shopping for it, I e-mailed both Gobi and 4x4 Parts to inquire about time to delivery. Gobi told me the same 8-12 week thing, but 4x4 Parts said about 4 weeks. So I put in the order with 4x4 Parts on 12 Apr 2021. I received notice that it shipped on 07 May 2021. It went USPS, so it didn't exactly set any land speed records. It spent over a week at the same postal depot. But I had a tracking number so I was able to keep tabs on it as is moved. I got it on 05 Jun 2021.

It is a legit Gobi ladder, complete with Gobi instructions and the Gobi name cast into the frame, so I'm at a loss to explain why mine arrived so soon in comparison.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I had a completely different experience. First off, I ordered mine through 4x4 Parts, not Gobi themselves. When shopping for it, I e-mailed both Gobi and 4x4 Parts to inquire about time to delivery. Gobi told me the same 8-12 week thing, but 4x4 Parts said about 4 weeks. So I put in the order with 4x4 Parts on 12 Apr 2021. I received notice that it shipped on 07 May 2021. It went USPS, so it didn't exactly set any land speed records. It spent over a week at the same postal depot. But I had a tracking number so I was able to keep tabs on it as is moved. I got it on 05 Jun 2021.

It is a legit Gobi ladder, complete with Gobi instructions and the Gobi name cast into the frame, so I'm at a loss to explain why mine arrived so soon in comparison.
You got yours faster because you ordered through a vendor. 4x4 Parts likely is a decent business generator for Gobi so they can’t afford to piss them off. One or two individual customers on the other hand, well that’s another story.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, here's today's update: after my discussion yesterday I was cautiously optimistic, and today I have a tracking number. I'm not celebrating yet, it's still in "label printed" status, and I know from other vendors that things can sit for days like that, but @NomadicX maybe worth giving them a call? My current guess, is like was said above, they needed to serve the high(er) volume vendors first, the random one-offs don't really keep the lights on. I'll post again if/when I receive it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You got yours faster because you ordered through a vendor. 4x4 Parts likely is a decent business generator for Gobi so they can’t afford to piss them off. One or two individual customers on the other hand, well that’s another story.
Agreed.

I know 4x4 Parts is the North American distributor for our snorkels, and they may have a similar arrangement with Gobi for the ladders. That would give them first dibs on all manufacturing at the expense of individual customers.

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
63 Posts
Ordered my gobi ladder in august 2020 and it finally arrived two weeks ago. I am very happy with the product, but wow it took forever to come. Communication during the process was awful, I sent so many unanswered emails. Oh well, it is on the X now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a rear ladder from Gobi back in November, so going on seven months ago now. At the time they listed their usual 8-12 week lead time, but unsurprisingly they sent a few emails earlier this year saying they were behind, certainly understandable they'd have disruptions. However, I've now been on a cycle of calling them every month or so and having them tell me the ladder will enter production in two weeks. Except the next time I call it's two more weeks out. And now it's been 30 weeks and as far as I can tell the ladder isn't even in production.

Has anyone else had this experience from Gobi recently? I thought Gobi had one of the better names in the industry but I feel like I'm being given the run around and I'm on the verge of trying to cancel my order (even though they say all orders are final).
Ordered rack, ladder, high lift jack mount and awning mount in September 2020. After not receiving by Feb 1st 2021, I called raising H*LL. Had all by end of February.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've this interaction with quite a few manufacturers of Xterra products as of late. You can see my post on a lokka front locker. three different emails, two directly to the email handle, one through the website. No responses. But many people had the same interaction, and eventually received one. I almost think its an industry trend for smaller companies to not respond? But regardless, anyone ordering afternarket Xterra parts of any sort is gonna get this interaction sadly

·
Registered
205 Posts
Last year I ordered a rack from Gobi (for another vehicle, not my X). The original time estimate was 16 weeks; not sure why they couldn't just say 4 months? Anyway, after the 5th month rolled by I seriously thought about reversing charges but instead just hung in there. A little after 7 months, er, 28 weeks, the rack arrived. I was grateful to have waited because of their quality workmanship and of course the appearance. Then I noticed the large hole in the side of the packing box. Sure enough, a large scrape across the top rail of the rack which took off a fair amount of powder coating. How could they work so hard to build a product only to do a half *ss job in packaging? They also left out a few nuts and bolts. Sigh.

As for my X, when I bought it (used) it already had a nice Gobi ladder attached. :)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
FWIW I have worked for the Industrial Controls industry for 25 years, and supply has never been this bad. Supplies of standard items - like extruded aluminum or formed steel used to be a few weeks - are now 20-30 weeks. Electrotonic reeled components used to be a couple months are now 6 months or more. IC's - who knows?

Not letting anyone off the hook - just saying, the disruptions are real.

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Xterra 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, like I said I understand there were and are some pretty legitimate reasons for delays, I'm just getting frustrated by what seem to be at best overly optimistic updates and at worse intentional misrepresentation of when it will finally be ready. I think what others said is probably correct, they are overwhelmed and focusing on more expensive orders and larger clients.

At the end of the day it isn't critical for me either so I will probably continue to wait, but overall I'm pretty disappointed and probably won't order anything from them again. I've had much better luck with smaller shops.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, like I said I understand there were and are some pretty legitimate reasons for delays, I'm just getting frustrated by what seem to be at best overly optimistic updates and at worse intentional misrepresentation of when it will finally be ready. I think what others said is probably correct, they are overwhelmed and focusing on more expensive orders and larger clients.

At the end of the day it isn't critical for me either so I will probably continue to wait, but overall I'm pretty disappointed and probably won't order anything from them again. I've had much better luck with smaller shops.
Alls well that ends well, as they say.

Ladder showed up yesterday, complete, and they honored last year's Black Friday price. As @NomadicX said, it isn't mission critical, but I'm glad to have it done.

Total time line
11/27/20 - Order Placed
12/1/20 - Order Confirmed
12/8/20 - Notified by Gobi that shipping would be delayed due to Covid
3/26/21 -I emailed Gobi for an update
4/16/21 - Update received (still delayed)
6/15/21 - I called Gobi, reminded by this thread
6/16/21 - Credit Card charged
6/22/21 - I called Gobi, told "shipping soon"
6/29/21 - I called Gobi, told "shipping this week"
7/1/21 - Ladder arrived
7/2/21 - Installed

So, just over 7 months - they are obviously dealing with supply and staffing issues like everybody else, but quality is great and I got what I paid for, so no real complaints.

Pics or it didn't happen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts