Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the spare tire makes me look like an ass at work when I can't remove it from the chain. Now this.

I picked up an EC rearview mirror, but I can't get the stock one off. I picked and poked at it for 20 mins with no avail. Anyone want to share some wisdom, or maybe a voodoo doll.

Thanks

--Matt

·
on line
54 Posts
I think there is a small hole at the bottom of the mount that you can stick a small screwdriver or nail into. It should just slide off of the block that is glued to the windshield.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
DO NOT try to get the adhesive off. There have a been a few people report that they took a chunk out of their windshield trying to pull/pry it off. Leave the metal mount attached to the windshield and just unscrew the mirror. The new mirror should be able to use the stock mount if you bought the correct mirror.

As for the spare. Just crank the chain all the way down, reach under and turn the plate on it's side and pull through the hole. Not that hard. But I would lower and raise the tire a few times a year even if you don't need it. My brothers 99 GMC the chain rusted and we couldn't lower it. We had to cut the chain.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
muzikman said:
just unscrew the mirror.
That'd be all peachy if Nissan just used a set screw, but they use a internal spring.

Anybody?

--Matt

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Straight from GW-59 of the 05 Service Manual. So you are right, there is no screw.

---
Removal
1. Remove inside mirror finisher (if equipped).
2. Slide the mirror upward to remove.
3. Disconnect the connector (if equipped).

Installation
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
---

If you do a search I am pretty sure someone did a how-to on replacing the mirror.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
Step 7.2 of EC Mirror Installation Instructions
Remove OE rear view mirror from windshield:
1) Insert the flat end of 4mm flat screwdriver into the opening at the bottom of the mirror mount at the windshield.
2) Slide screwdriver into the center of the mirror mount until resistance is felt. Apply a small amount of additional upward force to lift away a locking spring in the mount.
3) While still applying upward pressure with the screwdriver, grasp the mirror bracket and lift mirror up toward the headliner and off the mirror mounting bracket.

For full set of instructions, click here.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mtdewmike said:
2) Slide screwdriver into the center of the mirror mount until resistance is felt. Apply a small amount of additional upward force to lift away a locking spring in the mount.
I have the same instructions and that part is where I'm having the problems. No matter where or how I put the screw driver into the mirror base, there is never any resistance. What I'd know is if anyone has a trick for stubborn mirrors.

--Matt

·
on line
135 Posts
I noticed mine was stiff as well. What I found was that you needed to push the screwdriver into the center of the housing and push on the screwdriver even more. This forces the spring catch there to move back away from the button mount and release the mirror. Almost like the action of pushing the scrwdriver all the way in caused it to release.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Interesting; after reading these posts I was expecting a fight on the mirror removal. I pressed the little 4mm flat blade in the bottom of the mirror mount hole with a moderate amount of force (basically just to feel the spring tension), it flew off and hit my right shoulder... well before I had my other hand on it. Mine definitely was not stuck as others have experienced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah I cracked the effin windshield. Have it done at the dealer. Its not easy. Anyone know where I can pick up a new mount for the new mirror?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jut an FYI, auto glass repair places do not repair damage to the inside of the windshield. I had them simply reattach the mirror in lieu of a $400 replacement windshield. There is still a little of a chunk visible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts