Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I took apart the rear brakes to replace the rotors and pads. I just bought a 2008 Xterra S and was under the impression the rear caliper was seized. The rear rotors were grooved so deep, the pad was unevenly wearing into the rotor and part of the pads back plate was cutting into the metal. A sure sign of a seized caliper. To my surprise it was not seized and actually functioning perfectly. The actual issue is a absolutely destroyed wheel bearing. It has in and out play and sounds like screeching metal when spun. There is a lot of resistance too. With both sides apart I tested the passenger side and it was in good condition, spins fine and doesn't have any noise or in and out play.

Now my issue is I was under the impression these were bearing hubs that are a simple 4 bolts to remove. I soon realized it looks like it is pressed onto the axle. I pulled the entire axle out of the rear differential to inspect. My question is, what am i missing? Do I need to have a shop press the hub off? tap it apart from the axle some how? Any feedback would be appreciated. I really don't want to send it to a shop if it is something I am missing and can do myself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nissan wants you to replace the axle itself which has a new bearing and seal on it. Many have cut off the old bearing and seal and had them pressed back on as well. New axle is about $400

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am not too advanced and I tried to cut off the old bearing and press on the new one and did not have a good time. looking back I should have just bought the axle or pulled one from a yard. and ultimately it wasn't even the bearing that was my problem it was the rear diff and a shop swapped in a whole entire rear assembly. and looking back on that I probably should have upgraded to the better m226 along with the driveshaft etc.. So.. I learned a lot on that one.

·
on line
7,154 Posts
Too bad you live in Canada. I have 2 brand new axles complete and ready to slap in for $125 each+ shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts