Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently installed my AOD rear leaf packs and the recessed brackets they sell.

I was watching Ry the car guys video on installation and he mentioned that you want to measure how much thread is exposed or left after you torque it all down properly. He said you want them to be with in 2-3mm of each other.

I measured mine and 2 sets are at a 4mm difference roughly, should that be something I need to hunt down or worry about? I have lowered cars my entire life for AutoX/Track Days so this is a new world for me messing with lift kits and solid axles

Attached are pictures of the my measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldnt stress about it too much, they need to be retorqued after an initial period of break in. And maybe even once more after. You can favor the short side on the retorque to try an bring the gap closer.
Sounds good and thank you for the information.

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
368 Posts
I wasn’t aware of that either. I’ve ran mine for over a year and hadn’t had an issue
I just torqued to recommended spec, trimmed off the excess and went about my way

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn’t aware of that either. I’ve ran mine for over a year and hadn’t had an issue
I just torqued to recommended spec, trimmed off the excess and went about my way
Ya I have not trimmed the excess since my numbers were off a little, im going to re-torque them again tomorrow and then cut the extra after I measure it again.

·
TNX Veteran
4,703 Posts
I've gone through prob 5 or 6 sets of u-bolts on this truck. I install them and then cut off the excess as close as I can to the nuts with an angle grinder. Usually there are only a few threads left. That part has never been a problem.

The most important thing is torquing again and again like people on here have said. I did it at 50, 100, 500, 1000 I think. At the final 1000 mark they didn't need anymore, but every interval before they did. I started getting serious about it after my ubolts loosened and my axle got crooked and I needed a tow home -.-

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the information guys. Going to retorque them tomorrow and cut the excess off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts