Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I'm trying to find the bolt size and thread size of the 55060A bolts that are used to attach the rear sway bar to the axle to use a thread chaser to clean out the holes. I haven't had the sway bar on for the last 7 years and stupid previous me didn't think of leaving the bolts in so the thread are all rusted out.

Any info would greatly help! I tried matching the bolts in my local shop without success so far it looks like the thread count could be 20 and the size close to 3/8 but since I'm not 100% sure I don't want to randomly order something online...

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most likely m10x1.25 or m12x1.25. nissan uses JIS bolts which are all metric and mostly fine threads. For reference the front sway bar bolts are m12x1.25. I've got a frontier or else I would go pull mine and check.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another option is to see how much they are at the dealership. I think the front bolts are about $2 each

·
Registered
26 Posts
$1.79 at my local dealer.
To the OP, I would probably just sacrifice one of the old bolts to use as a chaser. If you take a dremel and cut a couple grooves down the length of the bolt you've got a chaser. I've got a small piece of a 2x4 that I've drilled holes in and labeled with sharpie where I keep these when I'm done. Pretty much a full set of chasers for my truck now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the OP, I would probably just sacrifice one of the old bolts to use as a chaser. If you take a dremel and cut a couple grooves down the length of the bolt you've got a chaser. I've got a small piece of a 2x4 that I've drilled holes in and labeled with sharpie where I keep these when I'm done. Pretty much a full set of chasers for my truck now.
Oh that's a good idea I should have done that instead! I went in without the grooves and now one of the bolts first couple threads is flat lol. Well anyhow I ordered a tap and die kit that should be here this week

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh that's a good idea I should have done that instead! I went in without the grooves and now one of the bolts first couple threads is flat lol. Well anyhow I ordered a tap and die kit that should be here this week
Careful with a tap, if you happen to get it cross threaded it will cut new threads. Only option then is drill it out for a new thread size or heli-coils. That's the beauty of using a bolt with grooves cut into it, it can't cut new threads. It will just clean out what's there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts