Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I think my leaf packs are about done. I want to replace with stock leaf springs since I already have a 2" shackle lift and that is plenty for me. So, my questions are:

1) Where can I get stock leaf packs at the best cost?

2) I want to put Bilstein 5100s on there while I'm at it. Which vendor do you guys prefer for these?

Thanks

BostonX

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
For stock leaf packs, keep an eye on the FS section of this forum. Lots of folks sell theirs when doing a lift.

As for vendors, Nisstec has far and away the best service record of any vendor on here. I check with them first on just about everything and I have rarely had to look elsewhere for anything.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Helper springs aren't a bad route on a budget.

·
Registered
138 Posts
New leaf springs aren't cheap. Unless your stock rear leafs are severely rusted and corroding, I would consider doing the AAL option first. And potentially installing air bags in addition to the AAL to further increase load capacity and have some adjustability.

For some unknown reason to me, air bag helper springs are commonly ridiculed on this forum, but everyone that has ran them has positive things to say about them, including myself.

I replaced the shocks and installed the Firestone airbags on my Xterra a couple months ago. The ride quality has significantly improved and it is nice being able to bump up the pressure in the airbags when you have a full load or trailering. The other weekend I did a short overnight road trip down to a Red's game with 5 people and their gear in the X. Bumped up the pressure to 20 psi and the X was still sitting level, while having a plush controllable ride.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all of the feedback. But based on my current financial situation, and the goals I'm trying to achieve, I'm pretty set on stock leafs and new shocks. If, in the future, I want more lift I can AAL. But for now I just want new or nearly new leaf packs. Adding an AAL to ailing packs is just a band aid and will result in more problems in the future. Plus I would need to buy new U bolts and shims. So, sticking with stock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the price difference on stock and lifted leaf packs isn't so big. If I buy 2" lift leaf packs and use a 2" lift shackle from Daystar, when the front only has a 2" spacer, is the truck going to look silly? If I use taller packs, should I go back to stock shackles? (Daystar are not adjustable.)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If you don't want a lift, the HD/4600 Bils are the same shock (same valving, dampening - just no height adjustment)

From what I could tell eShocks has the best price on HD/4600 series shocks. They may be good on 5100s too, I just never priced it. They do not list the Xterra specifically for the 4600 series, but the part numbers are as follows:

Part Number: 24-137430
Series: 4600 Series
Position: Front
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-D743-H1

Part Number: 24-187121
Series: 4600 Series
Drive Type: 4WD
Position: Rear
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E686-H0

Both the old and new part numbers are the same shock. Also the above is for a 4WD Xterra. You can find Bistein part numbers here: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts