Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching to find my answers but i guess i need some direction to find answers. I have a stock 07 S Xterra 4WD that i added 17" rims and nitto trail grapplers. My rear suspension bottoms out when driving over bumps at a moderate to low speed especially with a heavy load. How do i know if its the springs, leaf springs or shocks. Do i need to take it to a shop or can i post pics here. I took it to nissan while it was under warranty and they said it was fine. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Search for flat rear suspension, weak leafs, rear bottoms out or flat leafs and you'll find many threads about this.
Our rear leafs are weak and go flat, very common issue. We don't have springs in the back and shocks only absorb impact they don't contribute to height/carry capacity.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If OEM is you thing and you don't want lift, some spring shop can rearch your leaf packs for less than replacing them with new factory leaf packs. Mine quoted me around 50 for the pair...

Also buy some rear Bils whenever people post them, may add a bit better ride

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so after I figure out if my leaf springs are sagging are OME springs generally the go to choice or are alcans better bang for buck. I plan on measuring the rear height today after work How difficult would it be to install those myself? thanks again

·
Registered
385 Posts
A buddy & I just switched my OEM springs to the OME leafs w/the poly bushings a week ago (my rake is back!). We took about 3.5 hours and if we hadn't missed the need to grinding the tabs off on the front supports (for the polly bushings) we would have been done in 3 hours. The difficulties encountered were pretty much access related. Left rear is tight to the charcoal canister and the right to the exhaust and both to the bumper rear end covers. A ratcheting box wrench would have been nice for the rear fasteners. We couldn't get the 1/2 torque wrench in there so we made do with a smaller 3/8 drive and a little extra force. Do be aware that the rear bolts are welded to the shackle plates and the plate and fasteners pull to the inside to allow the spring end to drop free. The spring does not have room to pull out to the side. We had no problems with freeing up all the fasteners but then again it's a 2011 w/ 16,650 mi on her.

We jacked the rear up with a solid floor jack on the pumpkin, and rested the frame on two jack stands. Removed the rear wheels and the spare (earlier) for access. The floor jack was left on the pumpkin and used to compress/flex the leaf springs for bolt alignment at installation. Two men were valuable as the leaf springs are long and fairly heavy, I'm glad I didn't have to work it out alone. We did one side then the other. This kept the axle in line and made installation relatively easy.

So far I'm wicked pleased with the results!

Scott

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
All Timbrens do is make bottoming out less noticeable because you are already bottomed out. Airbags support the vehile, take weight off the leafs and greatly improve load handling and ride quality. It makes no sense to pay near $200 for longer bumpstops when airbags actually solve the problem

QUOTE=TN4x4Xterra;1033586]I have Timbrens and they work wonders
STAY AWAY FROM AIRBAGS!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have Timbrens and they work wonders
STAY AWAY FROM AIRBAGS!!!!!!!!!
I agree about the airbags. If you plan on doing any offroad driving (this includes just going down a muddy farm road) it is only a matter of time before you break them. I know. Been there, done that. Honestly the Timbrens are a bandaid fix for a lot of money. The fact is, Timbrens or not, the springs are very poor and that is not fixed.

The OME leafs are a great option. It is what I ended up with after I toasted my airbags and very reasonably priced. It took me about an hour to install by myself and I am very pleased. Catch is, if you just want to return to stock ride height then a set of custom Alcans is the better, although more expensive, option. They can do stock ride height with increased load capacity while the OME will give you some lift.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My next queststion is can i just buy the ome leaf springs or do i have to buy anything else with a factory setup?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Firestone airbags have a lifetime warranty. I cant see how they would break unless under or overinflated or installed poorly. Moderate off road has no effect on them . Maybe if you were doing desert jumps they might fail but short of new springs they are the only real option to fix the weak Xterra rear susp.

I agree about the airbags. If you plan on doing any offroad driving (this includes just going down a muddy farm road) it is only a matter of time before you break them. I know. Been there, done that. Honestly the Timbrens are a bandaid fix for a lot of money. The fact is, Timbrens or not, the springs are very poor and that is not fixed.

The OME leafs are a great option. It is what I ended up with after I toasted my airbags and very reasonably priced. It took me about an hour to install by myself and I am very pleased. Catch is, if you just want to return to stock ride height then a set of custom Alcans is the better, although more expensive, option. They can do stock ride height with increased load capacity while the OME will give you some lift.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wiplash87,

You will need eye-bolts (longer than stock), spring bushings, and the front mount bolt & nut (recommended in the fsm). At 16,6xx miles I reused the front bolts (1 ea spring). The bushings come stock rubber, poly - grease at install, poly - grease-able - requires special shackles.

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replys guys, gotta love this forum. I emailed Kurt today to get an estimate. Ill probably have to have a shop install it. I dont think i have nearly the right tools for the job. I imagine its gonna cost me an arm and a leg, do ill be saving for a while

·
on line
3,285 Posts
You may want to check your local spring shop. Most cities have at least one shop that makes leaf springs. A good local shop (with their own blacksmith) can fabricate a custom leaf pack to your exact specs. This is usually not a cheap option, but it is a good choice for some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
They bolt on easy but the clip that holds the OEM leafs together interferes with the installation. Some bend the clip. I was going to get the helpers until I reas this and got the airbags instead and love them

so helwig EZ 550 helper springs just give a little more stregnth to the stock leafs? is this something I just bolt on my self or do I need some special tools to do so? where is the best place to buy these? from the site I thought it say up to a 2004 xterra? are these compatible with my 2007 X:
http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-550-L..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1301406435&sr=8-1

·
Registered
196 Posts
I put mine on the front of the leaf pack, directions say put on the rear, but with the clip in the way I thought I would give the front a try. No problems other than the ubolt hangs in the way of sliding on rocks.

They bolt on easy but the clip that holds the OEM leafs together interferes with the installation. Some bend the clip. I was going to get the helpers until I reas this and got the airbags instead and love them

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have the helper springs, they do not work all that well for me. Even with no cargo/load in the back of the vehicle I regularly bottom out from bumps on city streets. They did improve the situation somewhat however and I did not tighten them enough to raise the level of the rear above its stock ride height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gave the Hellwigs a try. Had to remove the pare and rear tires to get enough access to pry the spring clips straight. Ended up using a C-clamp, crowbar and a metal clamp to pry the straight. Still bottoming out with about a 1/2" gap left. Gonna see how things go with them bolted all the way down. At least these will help till i can get enough cash saved up for the OME upgrade. Thanks again for all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts