Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a fix to prevent to rear suspension from bottoming out?

The truck is a 2007 OR, all stock and I would like to prevent the rear from bottoming out without lifting it.
Any suggestions? I briefly looked for air assist bags to go on top of the rear axle but didn't find anything that looked like it would fit (and don't know if they'd help without making the ride a lot harsher)

Thanks in advance,

Vince :clown:

·
on line
564 Posts
This was a suggestion from another forum concerning the same question.

"If you look between your frame and the spring , you will see the "X" has dual bump stops. Totally remove the forward stop that hits the spring before the axle. This is a bolt on item. Then take the bump stop that is directly over the axle tube, remove them. Take one of these to you local 4wd parts store and have them find you a pair of low profile urethane pads that will bolt on in their place. You can drive around with out the stops, without causing any damage. If you should hit a speed bump or such it will hit metal to metal and be noisy. It will not do serious damage. If you do lots of serious off roading then you may look at doing the add-a-leaf or a new spring pack. Your stops will already be set up for more movement."

Even though I don't have a bottoming out problem I will probably remove the forward stop and cut down the bump stop over the axle.

Rob

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I have no idea what secondary bump stop they're referring to. There's only one, and it's over the axle on each side of the vehicle.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea he got me too, maybe they added something later? Pic pic pic!
I think cheapest way is Timbren, and retain the load carrying ability ($150) That is no lift and 2nd is Deaver mini pack. No Overload. Shim if it don't look right before you cut anything, (Center and U bolts) MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Dan (Turtle) was talking something about a 2nd bump stop. I am almost 100% sure I don't have a 2nd bump stop...maybe it was something they added on the newer models.

·
on line
142 Posts
I think I know what he is talking about. My X has 2 chunks of rubber bolted to the frame back there. I'll take some pix...

Z.

·
on line
564 Posts
It was Xterraracer over at XOC who posted that.

XOC link

I figured he knew what he was talking about. I didn't know there was two bump stops, so I went and looked.

I don't really have a problem with bottoming out, even loaded up on some pretty rough roads. It will bottom on some hard hits, but that's to be expected.

Rob

·
on line
210 Posts
ZwithanX said:
If you look carefully at the picture, you will see that the bumper on the left has axle marks on it while the other one doesn't show any.

I run the Timbren on my stock X-OR 2005 for 1½ year with pure joy - no more "bang" from the rear axle. BTW, the Timbren replace the left one.

Just my 2¢

·
on line
238 Posts
The second front bumpstop is to protect he spring from twisting funny when pushed to it's limits. Mine made contact offroading this last weekend. I could see it because I have the Deavers with the retainer pin in it. The pin hit the bumpstop, and the retainer sits up about 1.5" off the spring. I have currently removed the retaining pin for complete articulation.

·
on line
20 Posts
I have the same bottoming out issue. I installed the Timbrens, but they left zero clearance and allow no travel at all, because the axle rests about 1/2 inch below the bump stops so any articulation immediately contacts the rubber, and essentially stops it. I tried cutting one of the two round "ballons" off to allow for more travel but now it hits just as hard as the factory bump stops. So, what if I tried to find stiffer rear shocks? Wouldn't that help lessen how fast the weak rear leaf springs compress? I'm so frustrated with my X because it bottoms out over the smallest of dips and bumps (speedbumps) and nothing seems to work. Would stiffer shocks work? If so, what shocks might work for that? What else can I do? I have no lift, just stock suspension. Thanks.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Junk rear set up. I think they should TSB it. We should all complain. Glad I asked for a picture, Even Ripley wouldn't believe it! Very odd set up.

Well The cure for this? Cheap way, Mini Deavers. Take out the Over load, put the Mini Deavers in, check the pinion angle if it is bad have some 3 degree shims on hand. Don't cut the center or u bolts off until you ride it for like a day or two, feel for a vibration at about 35 to 45 if none you are good, I suggest a set of spacers for the front with this, this will cost about $400 and give you about 2" lift in front and 2.5 in rear.
No more bottom out it's certain!

You can go with longer shocks with that or keep factory. The same shocks in my Daystar lift thread in How to's in Org fashion by Cornick are great and often on sale. Lifetime warranty, adjustable.

One guy says the Timbrens did not work. Well they would have worked with a Daystar lift and shackles. There is a lot of confusion, but the kits for no lift and lift from Timbren are different.
I have the Daystar lift and Timbrens and no problems, And, I tow a lot. I slap 300 lbs in the back add 300 to the hitch tongue and speed bumps nor anything make it bottom out.

I'll admit, it's a factory weakness that by the looks of the posted pictures, the factory knows about, but, they are not doing us any good are they? I'd imagine one single spring added to the rear of the right size and thickness would cure it. But they left up on our own. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Junk rear set up. I think they should TSB it. We should all complain.......
MC
I have and everyone I spoke to played dumb. I think I'll fire off a few e-mails later. I'm sure it won't change anything but it's the principal.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
syndicate said:
usmc xterra said:
Junk rear set up. I think they should TSB it. We should all complain.......
MC
I have and everyone I spoke to played dumb. I think I'll fire off a few e-mails later. I'm sure it won't change anything but it's the principal.
Yea I said something on the customer survey to Nissan when they called the house and the dealer. It is the principal, we MOD, but that's not to say you should not be able to buy one and not sink $400 in it to cure a problem it should in no way have.

The should Admit it, and bring us back for new leafs. Not that hard a cure.

MC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts