Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have mounted a Powertank or anything for that matter to the rear floor on the sides how did you get the plastic side panels up? Pins? Screws? Bolts?

Thanks!

Jordan

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I believe they are held in by pins. And be prepared to have to replace the some of the pins. PITA. I started to remove it then thought better.

Some are using the utility track and fab up some mounts.

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

yeah so far its been lookin like a hassle but i am going to check it out and see whats involved. i like the design of the cargo area of the x but i wish there was some more metal structure behind all this plastic.

·
on line
551 Posts
I just looked at the FSM and it looks like you would have to remove the floor trim first as the side panel tabs are attached and below the floor piece.
My side pieces were are scratched when I bought it and they replaced the side pieces, and I recall them saying it wasn't a easy thing. Seemingly time consuming to fix a few scratches is the phrase I reacll from the service dept. (and a few choice words for their sales dept)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
It's a booby trap! Really! I got mine up but could not re use the fasteners to re install, I used some other type fasteners in help section. I never seen fasteners like they used. You just ruin them to get it up.

You can take a dremel tool with a cutting disc, and cut a slot, then you buy a stove bolt, it's like flat on the head, you tip it in the slot and up at a 90 degree and slide it to the end of the slot. Some have like a square part on bottom of the head, You can use a small file (Triangular) with three sides to carve a square hole to hold it while you tighten the nut.
These bolts are black, I get em at Lowes in hardware cabinet. Many lengths. MC

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank - got the PM

I ended up getting it done last night. Wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe because I didnt have as much care about some minor scratches :) Basically you can snap off most of it. There are 5 screws holding the rear floor cargo area that need to come out, there are 3 screws per rail that need to come out and 1 screw in the center of the panel under the window and the rest are pins I am pretty sure. I kept yanking on it until I got it all off. Would have been nice for Nissan to make this piece in a few seperate pieces instead of one huge back side piece!

J

·
on line
15,651 Posts
usmc xterra said:
The same guy worked on the alternator location, the rear leaf pack, and the choice of the plastic for the interior. MC
And the wheels...don't forget the wheels. ;)

Oh, and the roof rack attachment.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
He should have talked to the guy that designed the door bottle holders, removable rear seat cushions, front seat leg room, and the control locations. Those I like.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
You know what the worse part of this mod is? We must wait until the fall issue to see how you have the tank mounted :geek:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
kokopop said:
He should have talked to the guy that designed the door bottle holders, removable rear seat cushions, front seat leg room, and the control locations. Those I like." And Muzikman's "[And the wheels...don't forget the wheels. ;)"/quote]

Ah! I was thinking there was something I missed! The wheels! 3 years and not even a steel aftermarket black wagon wheel? LOL
And that sure is right, as bad as that stuff is..... the other stuff is good.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
In about another month I'll be removing the entire headliner because of the damn threaded rivot system they used to hold that roof rack on.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
muzikman said:
In about another month I'll be removing the entire headliner because of the damn threaded rivot system they used to hold that roof rack on.
Do tell of your plans? Roof rack less? New rack?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, I am currently roof rack-less (giving me about 1mpg better). But the goal is a custom made rack (based on the Gobi but with a few ideas I threw in).

There are 27 or so T30 bolts holding that rack on. I got 25 out before one of the rivits was loose. I tried everything to get it out, but ultimately I ended up ripping it out of the roof by accident. So, when the new rack goes on I'll be pull the liner down, removing the stupid nuts and having the guy weld something in their place.

·
on line
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would but you know I have to post that kinda stuff in the magazine first or else the mightly press gods seem to rain down madness lol

Actually, im not overly stoked with how its mounted right now so I am considering some new options. Basically, its mounted like the other person did on here (forgot the name). I used one of the Powertank Straight-Jacket mounts with a 10lb bottle mounted all four holes in its base to the floor. Then mounted two I-bolts to the sidewalls behind and to each side of the tank and put a thick rubber strap around the bottle. Its held in there pretty good but not good enough for my liking. What I think I will do is add a matching metal plate underneath the floor plastic so the metal from the bracket is mounted to another metal piece. I believe that will make it much stronger. Once I nail it down I will post some pics.

I've been trying to come up with a good way to mount it to the rails with a quick release option so you can still get to the floor cargo area. Have a few things in mind but nothing "quick" enough for me yet.

J

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Here is the mounting bracket I have.

I don't care for the upright position. I have a 20 gallon CO2 tank and I'm not convinced the rear side panel is structurally sound enough to support that much weight. It's even worse if you have a steel tank. Wow! That's a heavy beast even when empty.

I've decided to mount it behind the rear seats in a horizontal position. I'll deal with removing it from the bracket and placing in an upright when I need to air back up. I'd rather do that and have peace of mind.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Steve, you could have an anti-siphon tube installed and use it while in the horizontal position. You just need to make sure the tank is always in the same position or the anti-siphon tube becomes a siphon tube.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts