Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any ideas on how to get these freakin bolts off? i have pb blasted them with no luck. i can't put the new shackles on w/ removing the shocks, correct???

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
In addition to PB Blaster, if a bolt is stuck you need to use a breaker bar to break the rust and seal that has the nut stuck. You can also use a cheater bar or pipe to break the nut free.

As for removing the stock shocks, if you are not replacing them with new ones then you do not need to remove them to install new shackles.

·
on line
57 Posts
I put my shackles on without removing them. Didnt have any issues. We tried removng my shocks but it was a no go. That was on an 08, they are on there pretty good.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SeXterraPA said:
In addition to PB Blaster, if a bolt is stuck you need to use a breaker bar to break the rust and seal that has the nut stuck. You can also use a cheater bar or pipe to break the nut free.

As for removing the stock shocks, if you are not replacing them with new ones then you do not need to remove them to install new shackles.
I thought you have to remove the bottom bolt in order to lower the axle...i am not very mechanically inclined.

if not, i think i should be ok then. i am not replacing the shocks

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
You should use a bottle jack to lower the leaf pack so you can get a bigger shackle in there. Don't disconnect the shock.

Just use some elbow grease and muscle and everything should work out fine.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i just stripped the head off of the stock shackle bolt on the drivers side...the one next to the black box. now i am screwed.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
I've got the same problem only with the front shocks. I have some AC coils mounted on some shocks and I want to swap out the strut assemblies but can't get the bolt/nut to budge on the lower shock mount. Used a cheater pipe and even an impact wrench. Refuses to give up.

By the way, I didn't remove the shocks when I put my shackles on, but the bolts in the OME shackles were almost impossible to loosen. Three foot cheater pipe barely got the nut loose. Remember to get a bottle jack to keep your leaf spring under control when you remove the shackles and to line things back up with the new ones.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
A bottle jack can also be used under the shock mount in the rear to take some of the pressure off the bolt from the shock piston. Greg at PRG used that technique on my rear shocks when he saw the bolt was tough to break.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
d-rap said:
A bottle jack can also be used under the shock mount in the rear to take some of the pressure off the bolt from the shock piston. Greg at PRG used that technique on my rear shocks when he saw the bolt was tough to break.
that's a good idea. a buddy brought over an impact gun and the nut came right off. after that, the rest was a piece of cake. Lift looks great!

thank you for all the help guys!

·
on line
90 Posts
impact wrench is the way to go...but now that you've stripped the bolt head, you may as well grind the top of the bolt off and replace it.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shinallb said:
impact wrench is the way to go...but now that you've stripped the bolt head, you may as well grind the top of the bolt off and replace it.
nice thing is, i had to replace the bolt w/ the new shackles anyway so it wasnt that big of a deal. The only part that sucks is that we had to take the whole rear quarter panel off to get to the nut. It is the upper shackle on the drivers side. damn black box was in the way.

i will get some pics tomorrow if i get a chance.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Bringing one back from the dead here but i figured its close enough to my post so why start a new one?

I am trying to replace the rear shackles and i got the bottom nuts loose on both sides, however the top two stripped while using a breaker bar and ratchet. I have a good techinique to get the nuts off the bolts, my fear is that the bolts are stuck pretty good in the bushings and I dont see a way to get any good leverage/ force on the outside of the bolts.

anyone got any ideas? other than removing the rear plastic?

also how often are the bolts seized in the bushings? should a hammer get them out? or are they like the front lca's where they are just stuck?
my truck is being a real pita with this lift install...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bringing one back from the dead here but i figured its close enough to my post so why start a new one?

I am trying to replace the rear shackles and i got the bottom nuts loose on both sides, however the top two stripped while using a breaker bar and ratchet. I have a good techinique to get the nuts off the bolts, my fear is that the bolts are stuck pretty good in the bushings and I dont see a way to get any good leverage/ force on the outside of the bolts.

anyone got any ideas? other than removing the rear plastic?

also how often are the bolts seized in the bushings? should a hammer get them out? or are they like the front lca's where they are just stuck?
my truck is being a real pita with this lift install...

I had the same issue. Ended up pulling out the angle grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the nut &/or bolt off to remove the shackles. Wasn't too difficult. Didn't have to remove anything extra to get to it. And once the nut was cut off the slid free very easily, don't have to worry about them being seized in the bushings.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
After this post Im on the way to harbor freight to get some kind of grinder/ cutting tool to remove the top shackle nuts.

this truck just wont stop fighting me.

I have recently noticed a slight wobble under breaking, feels like warped rotors. no problem, Ill pop them off and take em to the store, if they can turn the, fine, if not ill just replace.

until I one of the Danm nuts that holds on the whole caliper assembly is sized! 1 of them( top driver), the other 3 came loose no problem. Im to the point where i feel like if i put any more force or pressure or just F with it any more in general that im going to strip the nut... ugh!!!!! what cheap ass grade hardware did they use!

so I stopped there. Ill let it soak with some pb and re evaluate.

Could there possibly be any good news from this project weekend? could there be just one easy thing?

There is!! the pass side lca cam nuts and bolts came loose easy peasy! Like super easy. Which means at most ill only have to buy one LCA, which leaves some money for brakes which i also hadnt planned on being an issue. so, now i just have the one caliper bolt and the one driver lca bolts that are stuck. Im thinking about just finishing up the rear, then putting the front all back together and taking it somewhere to see if they can get those danm bolts loose and do a brake job/ alignment.

Im so over wrenching right now lol. Im sunbrunt and sore.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Update: I took the X to les schwab, those guys are soo helpful, they got the x in the bay, i asked them to try to get teh lca bolt and brake caliper bolts loose, they were able to free the caliper bolt, and the lca bolt will spin but not come out of the bushing/ mount.

they spent a good 15 minutes with me in the bay under the truck talking about what to do.

after cutting the rear top shackle bolts off i was able to get the factory shackles off.

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Xterra OR
102 Posts
Just a FYI. Last night I replaced my rear shocks and the top bolts came off easy. I fought with the lower bolts for a while with a breaker bar and cheater, then I put a bottle jack under the wrench and they loosened with just a few pumps on the jack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts