Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '13 pro-4x without a tow package. Although I eventually want to get a replacement rear bumper with propery recovery points, it would be nice to have an emergency option I could use in the meanwhile. Are there any points on the underside of the rear that I could safely put a strap through and pull on without damaging anything? Perhaps an ARB Tree Protector strap?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
There is a tubular frame cross member back there that I suppose you could use, though if you bend it there's no way to replace it without cutting and welding (not to mention the cascading effect it could have on the rest of your frame alignment). You can only access it if the spare has been removed (and if you're buried in mud, fuhgeddaboutit). I've also heard of people hooking up to the suspension shackles. Both ultimately inadvisable, but if you gotta get towed...

What I might try is popping the plastic tread plate off the top of the rear bumper - the gap it leaves will be enough to slide a strap through and around the entire bumper itself. Sharp edges could compromise the strap, but again, if it comes down to it, do what must be done.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
There is a tubular frame cross member back there that I suppose you could use, though if you bend it there's no way to replace it without cutting and welding (not to mention the cascading effect it could have on the rest of your frame alignment). You can only access it if the spare has been removed (and if you're buried in mud, fuhgeddaboutit). I've also heard of people hooking up to the suspension shackles. Both ultimately inadvisable, but if you gotta get towed...

What I might try is popping the plastic tread plate off the top of the rear bumper - the gap it leaves will be enough to slide a strap through and around the entire bumper itself. Sharp edges could compromise the strap, but again, if it comes down to it, do what must be done.

Wrapping a strap around the bumper would be an awful idea. That thing will bend before hardly any force is put on it. The strap would have all the force of the recovery in one spot crumpling and bending the whole bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Sadly the X isn't designed well for rear recovery if you don't add a hitch or recovery plates.

I suspect anything you put a strap around under there will likely cause damage which is why most people on here have done the two options I just mentioned or the after market bumper.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I see used Xterra hitches for sale on Craigs list every time I'm on there for real cheap. Too bad you don't live near me I would sell you mine for dirt cheap since my one buddy fabs up bumbers and sliders etc.(he's making me a bumper).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I specifically didn't want the stock hitch because of the decrease of the departure angle. In a few months (2-4) I'll hopefully be getting the Shrockworks rear bumper giving me a the best of all worlds, but right now I'm just looking for a temporary emergency option to have in mind if I get stuck between now and then.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I specifically didn't want the stock hitch because of the decrease of the departure angle. In a few months (2-4) I'll hopefully be getting the Shrockworks rear bumper giving me a the best of all worlds, but right now I'm just looking for a temporary emergency option to have in mind if I get stuck between now and then.
Going by shrocks lead time. I would buy a used hitch on here. Its also serves as a slider for the back lol. I don't use a tampon just put the straps loop in the receiver and pit the hitch pin in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Are there any points on the underside of the rear that I could safely put a strap through and pull on without damaging anything? Perhaps an ARB Tree Protector strap?
You can hook a tow strap to the spring shackles safely in an emergency.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I recently slowly towed my sentra a couple miles using that crossbar/member over the rear tire. No damage even with a couple of mild tugs. Lesson learned, don't let your aaa expire!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts