Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
We're all wondering that right now. As of this moment, there is no aftermarket locking diff available for non OR models. A few of us have been scouring wrecking yards and crossing our fingers that someone will make one soon. Sorry.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Go to a junk yard, buy the front diff, rear axle, and abs lines from a wrecked OR and there ya go! :bounce:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Your best and cheapest bet is to wait until some is willing to sell their rear axle off on OR. That way, you get the Dana 44 with 31 spline shafts and the locker for chump change.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
05yellowx said:
any one know how much it will cost me to buy all the stuff i need from dealer ?
From the dealer I believe the rear axle alone is $3,300. I looked into it before I did my swap.

But then you need the front differential and abs lines.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
All you need to be sure of is that the gear ratio of your front dif matches the ratio of the donor D44 rear axle.

The rear axle gear for an automatic trans 2005 OR is 3.36. I don't know what it is for the manual trans. but I'm pretty sure it's different.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
05XOR said:
All you need to be sure of is that the gear ratio of your front dif matches the ratio of the donor D44 rear axle.

The rear axle gear for an automatic trans 2005 OR is 3.36. I don't know what it is for the manual trans. but I'm pretty sure it's different.
Yes, but the S gear ratio is different and that's why you need the front diff.

Trust me, I have the OR rear axle and front diff on my S. I've been through this and completed it without many problems.

<------- The ONLY locked S.

:bounce:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Did you every resolve the whole relay thing?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
kokopop said:
Did you every resolve the whole relay thing?
No, I've got the switch in the glove box that works for some reason. At some point I'll need some expertise on how to wire it correctly.

I just don't know enough to do it myself and that tells me NOT to do it because I don't want to screw anything up.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
cornick said:
05XOR said:

Trust me, I have the OR rear axle and front diff on my S. I've been through this and completed it without many problems.

What is the gearing of the front dif of an 2005+ S, SE and X with automatic transmssion?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
05XOR said:
cornick said:
05XOR said:

What is the gearing of the front dif of an 2005+ S, SE and X with automatic transmssion?
I know on the S it's: 2.937. You can check out this page for more information.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra/N50_specs.html

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I inspected the sticker on the rear axle of my 2005 OR with automatic transmission. It's clearly printed 3.36.

I wanted to make sure so I ran the VIN and sure enough, it's 3.36.

Courtesy has my axle listed at 3.133. I believe that might be an error.

Run the VIN when in doubt.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
05XOR said:
I inspected the sticker on the rear axle of my 2005 OR with automatic transmission. It's clearly printed 3.36.

I wanted to make sure so I ran the VIN and sure enough, it's 3.36.

Courtesy has my axle listed at 3.133. I believe that might be an error.

Run the VIN when in doubt.
Yea the label on the axle seems to be wrong, we've run into this before. I believe Alpine was able to confirm that it's incorrect. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the result.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
That's why Dave from All Phase wanted to run my VIN. We needed to calculate the RPM's for the gearing I'll run in the Ford 9". We wanted to know what came stock in the OR's with auto trans. I gave him the VIN number off my truck and it came back 3.36

The sticker and the VIN data matched at 3.36. I don't know what else to say.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
05XOR said:
That's why Dave from All Phase wanted to run my VIN. We needed to calculate the RPM's for the gearing I'll run in the Ford 9". We wanted to know what came stock in the OR's with auto trans. I gave him the VIN number off my truck and it came back 3.36

The sticker and the VIN data matched at 3.36. I don't know what else to say.
Yup, you're right, I'm sorry I was wrong. I had them backwards. I couldn't remember which one was wrong whether it was the documentation or the stamp on the axle.

Sorry about that.

·
on line
67 Posts
You could always weld the gears, I did this on my 10-bolt before I let it go. Its not to bad on street going to a trail but daily use on the street will take a toll on your tires and chirp around corners.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Isn't there another rear end with the same width from another truck that can be fabricated in, rather than even bothering with the Nissan rear end?

Then make sure you can get the gears / locker for that rear end and you are set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts