Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm def starting to notice that my rear hatch struts are on their way out. The door isn't going up all the way on it's own and even w/ a push up it won't stay. I know some of you guys have run into this problem but I thought only after the Gobi rack was put on, mine has nothing on it.

Any way to fix them, bring them back? Or is this a full replacement kinda job?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
are you still up in that cold east coast weather? that won't help the situation, just make it worse.

no one has come up with replacement struts yet, gobi sells some with the ladder, but mcampana had some issues with them (busted brackets i think).

doubt there a way to fix them, but you might want to wait till you get back to texas where it's warmer (almost 80 yesterday) and see if the warm weather helps.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
The gobi replacements were crap. During installation, we broke the plastic clips on both of the struts.

Mark, any luck getting better ones?

I haven't noticed any problems with my stock struts on my 06, but my friend has an 05 and his hatch is doing the same thing that yours is. Maybe they get weak after a couple years.

·
on line
366 Posts
I have an 05 and my struts are starting to have issues. I can still push it up and it'll stay there, but it needs help. I'm in so cal so cold isn't really an issue here. I did put a bunch of extra crap in the first aid kit, so that might have something to do with it.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I've got an '05 as well, and have noticed that they are startin' to not rise all the way, but I figure after a few years, then it would be time to replace them. I'm sure we can replace them with something stronger. I'm almost positive that there are older threads of this issue some where on the here, and I'm pretty sure that someone already found a way to aleviate the issue. I'll search it later, but since my X is on the opposite side of the world from where I am, I will worry about it when I get back.

Unitl then my wife, has to worry about, but then again, she is short enought to not notice the sag.
:thumbleft:

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Chevy Camaro's and Pontiac Transam's have the same trouble, after several years--

--Weather/temp/frequency of use--it's pretty universal !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Every winter I have problems with my rear hatch staying up all the way. Never a problem in the summer, so IMO, it's the weather.

That being said, I think heavier duty shocks wouldn't be a bad thing.

As for the Camaro / Firebird thing. The shocks for the hood of my camaro went, but the shocks for the rear hatch work just fine after 25 years.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
measure and order higher load rating (lb) lift supports from mcmaster.com

http://www.mcmaster.com/

search "lift supports"

then go to page 1137-1142 under gas springs

ON page 1137 is a equation (Calculating Force) that gets u in the ball park.
i say add 15 percent and rock and roll.

my X is an 08 so i havent gotten to it yet, but i know i will one day. Im currently working on it right now for the hatch on my 350z.

you can get a pull tester, disconnect the oem shocks and with a ladder lift up the rear hatch and calculate the force lbs needed to lift. from their calculate using the angles of the oem shocks installed what lb rating is needed.

has anyone ever removed the hatch before and weighted it??? that would help.

-j

·
on line
1,420 Posts
yup!

ive never seen any that arent....

typical ball stud is 10mm......very common even on other nissans...ie 350Z hatch....

-j

·
on line
91 Posts
I have an 05 and my struts are getting weaker every day. I tried afew parts stores and they are'nt listed. I didn't try the dealer yet. Has anyone tried them and get a price?

·
on line
1,420 Posts
allrytx said:
I have an 05 and my struts are getting weaker every day. I tried afew parts stores and they are'nt listed. I didn't try the dealer yet. Has anyone tried them and get a price?
read my first post.......

-j

·
on line
4,593 Posts
No problems with mine. Yet. Though location in winter may be why.

I had a Honda CRX with the same problem on the rear hatch.

A little redneck iginering fixtit:

Fully open the hatch. Hold to full extension. Bash struts just above the point where the rod enters the tube inwards towards the hatch with your palm. Do this on both sides. Test holding power. Be drunkenly amazed that it works.

:D

At the time replacement struts for the CRX were $45. Each.

·
on line
295 Posts
Below 0 and they don't want to hold hardly at all. Summer fine. Going to take a piece of stout dowel or clothes rod and cut a piece to put in between hatch and lights I think.

·
on line
197 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts