Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of you have auxiliary lights mounted on the roof and/or bumper for the rear but i went a different route. Striving to be a little creative I bought LEDs off of eBay for $20 and had some plastic sitting around the house. I cut the plastic to the size of the first aid kit and mounted the plastic behind the buckle straps. Then i screwed the lights on top of the straps though the plastic so that it wouldn't slide out. I ran the wiring though one of the existing screw holes and out of the hatch, thought the grommet, and up to the hatch light. I still need to find a home for a switch so that the lights stay off when the door opens.

These LEDs are very bright and I have one of them projecting about 25 feet out and the other straight down so that I can see what I doing with the hatch open. I do a lot of camping and most of the time I set up in the dark. I realize that i can just turn my key, without starting the engine, and put the truck in reverse to light up what I'm doing, but I'm too good for that. Haha.

·
on line
97 Posts
Awsome Idea! I was tinking about using some LED for some roof rack side illumanitors. Where did you get the LEDs from? Is there any other wiring or components I need to buy or do they wire right into 12V DC? What did you use for your housing for the strand of lights? is it weaterproof? How bright are they? Will they through enough lite if used outside the car?

I know... I have alot of questions.

Thanks for your update in advance.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont believe they are waterproof so i wouldnt recommend mounting them outside. the housing came with the lights. i dont remember what company i used through ebay but you can use almost any kind of light. this particular one was made with a cigarette lighter but i cut off the plug and wired it to the hatch light. it projects about 25-30 feet. its more of a pencil beam not so much a wide beam of light but it works

·
on line
83 Posts
here's my setup....the lights are 12" CCFL(the ones they use for computers) its all 12V and super cheap like around 6bucks online prob 10 with shipping...u can also see my other lights which are also CCFL but 4" ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts