Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When camping, I want a way to be able to flood my cargo area, and the area under the lifted hatch with light. I really don’t want to mount anything to the face of the hatch panel, because it will get hit constantly with things in the cargo area.

So ... I found a 45* floodlight made for RVs. My plan is to mount it to the top of the hatch panel shown in photo), so that’s when it’s lifted, the light would basically be pointing at the rear bumper, but it will be up and out of the way when the hatch is closed.

I’m thinking about tapping into the 12v plug circuit in the cargo area (its always hot), and adding a switch somewhere discreet on the hatch maybe?

Any thoughts? better ideas? Better lights?

·
on line
2,660 Posts
I just slapped an LED strip light in the back of my Xterra, and converted the plug to the cigarette barrel style. I super glued velcro to the light strip as it will hook to the ceiling carpet of the Xterra. You got white light, red light (great for camping) and disco modes with it. I night ski frequently and this LED strip comes in super handy when changing in and out of gear, gets lots of positive comments from other skiers.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Nilight 8PCS 24LED Rock Light for Cargo Truck Pickup Bed Off Road Under Car Side Marker LED Rock Lighting Kit w/Switch White

View attachment 133338

Those eight lights are mounted outside of the weather strip, and thus are not visible/reachable from inside when the hatch is closed. No cargo thing will hit those.
looks good.
I’m having to switch gears because after I ordered the light, I got notification that it was actually back ordered and wouldn’t be here for 4-6 weeks. So I cancelled.

have a picture of how they are mounted/wired?

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
A member of my locla Xterra club got a long flexible LED strip that wraps around the cargo hatch right next to the weather stripping. He wired it into the cargo light so when the hatch is open the light comes on. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A member of my locla Xterra club got a long flexible LED strip that wraps around the cargo hatch right next to the weather stripping. He wired it into the cargo light so when the hatch is open the light comes on. Works pretty well.
I was going to wire that way initially....
But the cargo light times out after you've had the hatch open for a few minutes. Not suitable for a camping type situation.

·
TNX Veteran
4,246 Posts
I just slapped an LED strip light in the back of my Xterra, and converted the plug to the cigarette barrel style. I super glued velcro to the light strip as it will hook to the ceiling carpet of the Xterra. You got white light, red light (great for camping) and disco modes with it. I night ski frequently and this LED strip comes in super handy when changing in and out of gear, gets lots of positive comments from other skiers.
So this is 100% internal and not on the hatch? pics?

·
TNX Veteran
4,246 Posts
This got me looking around. Something like this would be about as easy as it gets.... adhesive backing to stick it on the hatch, route the wire and plug it into the 12v socket on the passenger side. There is a switch on plug. No need to take off any panels or do any wiring. You can toss the battery connection it comes with.

Only downside is that it is not as clean as wiring to the rear dome light and routing stuff internally. I may start with this and see how I like it before I go through that trouble though.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
947 Posts
You can toss the battery connection it comes with.
If you do indeed buy that nifty illumination kit I’ll gladly take the useless terrible wasteful horrible battery connector off your hands.
I’ll even send ya some green paper for shipping and your troubles.
No need to jog this time though.

Or I might just end up buying the same damn kit.
Good find!

·
Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
116 Posts
Here's the pic showing you one side / strand of 4 lights:

I really like that with 4 lights spread and at different orientations, I have no parasite shadow. The area is very well lit.

I did not trust the adhesive they came with and peeled it with my fingers to replace it with 3M VHB tape.

Somehow the dark gray panel was kind of anti-adhesive, so I sanded it a little with fine paper before using the 3M VHB. I also used white Gorilla tape to hide the wire.

I soldered a DC 5.5 male connector to the wire so that I can plug it in directly into the rockpals portable battery (avoiding to use the car battery at all). I also made a DC 5.5mm female connector to male cigarette lighter plug so that I can also plug it in the always on which is on the passenger side of the trunk if I prefer to use the car battery.
Now, I'm waiting on a occasion to pull the rear inside panel to hardwire those lights using the provided round switch.

Here it is in use:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Dang that’s a lotta light. If you just left a couple of them on you can hardwire them to the battery without fearing the drain. Each panel only draws 1.5W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
TNX Administrator
20,400 Posts
Here's an interesting one;

·
TNX Veteran
4,246 Posts
yeah man all inside the truck. Just follows the outline.
Thanks for the pics. I think I'm gonna go this route, although I'm not super sold on gluing a cheap light to the headliner only to have to rip it off at some point. But this looks clean and seem to provide plenty of light inside/outside the rear hatch

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
For me, the simplest and easiest solution for additional light in the hatch area was a battery powered LED flashlight/lantern with magnetic base and hook for hanging. It fits in a cupholder, charges from any USB port, and sticks where ever I need it. More versatile than a fixed light.

Another inexpensive (and movable) solution are ordinary tap lights with adhesive or velcro.

·
TNX Veteran
4,246 Posts
This got me looking around. Something like this would be about as easy as it gets.... adhesive backing to stick it on the hatch, route the wire and plug it into the 12v socket on the passenger side. There is a switch on plug. No need to take off any panels or do any wiring. You can toss the battery connection it comes with.

Only downside is that it is not as clean as wiring to the rear dome light and routing stuff internally. I may start with this and see how I like it before I go through that trouble though.
Alright. I got this and threw it on yesterday similar to what @robust57 did. Was going to trial it and see if I liked it. I have to say, for such a low effort, zero-wiring-required install (maybe 30 min) it looks like the lights are gonna be FANTASTIC for what I need. The strip didn't have backing adhesive (DOH! should have read description) but some double sided tape cut and placed in few places did the trick. For the ceiling, tape didn't work and I didn't want to super glue and destroy my headliner. I just used a staple gun with some big staples and pushed em in a bit. Seems to work and doesn't really leave much of a visible scar for something that may or may not be successful.

Initial test is very positive. Lots of light in the hatch, enough light out of the hatch. The 12v plug switch is very convenient. Setup was nothing. Cost was cheap. And I think it actually looks cleaner than I was expecting. No wires really hanging around. I am a bit nervous that loading gear might knock it off, but otherwise it should be perfect for night skiing and grabbing things out of the trunk in the dark while camping.

Only downside is that I cut the LED and some of the remainder of strip doesn't light up. They want me to return this to get a replacement which is annoying because I know they are just gonna throw away the return. So I'll prob just keep it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts