Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a little tricky for me(or to lazy to figure it out), has anyone come up with a way to open the rear latch from the inside?

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Sure it is. This thread touches on it (ignore the title, it's mid way through the second page.)
There is a link to the release, but its out of stock. Sounds do-able to me. Just depends on your definition of "heavy modification."
Part out of stock

Think I might do this, if I can find the parts. Haven't looked yet. In no hurry myself.

Info from their site.

Made by Nissan for Nissan sedans (maxima, altima, etc.) many Xterra owners have modified this Emergency Trunk Release to work on their Xterras.

Hatch Release instructions.

Tools needed:
10 mm socket w/ ratchet
standard screwdriver
needle nose pliers
5/16" drill

Step one:
Remove the first aid kit.

Step two:
Remove hatch pull strap using 10mm socket. Proceed to remove cover over third tail light. This can be done with the use of a standard screwdriver.

Step three:
Remove the hatch panel cover. The cover is held in place by several plastic pop rivets. Remove the panel by starting at one end and gently pulling down. Once you have the cover off make sure that all the rivets are in the panel and not still attached to the hatch.

Step four:
Locate yellow retaining clip attached to metal pushrod. To remove this clip you will need needle nose pliers.

Step five:
Replace yellow fastener with the clear/white fastener that was supplied with kit.

Step six:
Insert new fastener into hole where the yellow fastener once was. BE SURE THAT THE PULL STRAP IS PLACED BETWEEN THE FASTENER AND THE PLATE BEFORE YOU REATTACH!!!

Step seven:
Place protective material supplied with kit to sheet metal to insure that the strap will not be damaged by metal contact

Step eight:
Here you will need to drill a hole with a 5/16 drill bit. you will have to slightly enlarge the hole to allow proper passage of the pull strap. The hole itself is made near the bend on the plastic hatch panel about an inch from the bottom of the panel. See photograph for visual confirmation.

Step nine:
Reattach plastic hatch panel and replace cover to third brake light. Also replace the hatch strap with the 10 mm bolt that was removed earlier. Attach the pull handle to the closest point to the hatch. Cut off excess strap.

Once the handle is in place you can use it as a guide as to where to put the velcro.

·
on line
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that part for 04' and older, or does it matter? i think i will try this mod someday since i nap in the cargo area alot...

·
on line
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
avizpls said:
Get an electronic actuator to replicate the mechanics of pulling the handle and a button! I'm considering doing that.
my exact thoughts, since i have two actuators and some relays laying around from my old project that was the same thing i was wondering about this morning while i was taking my power nap :cheers: . great minds do think alike...thinkin of installing the switch in the first aid kit area so i can push the button and at the same time push on the hatch :cheers: ...now all i need is time......

·
Banned
69 Posts
my exact thoughts, since i have two actuators and some relays laying around from my old project that was the same thing i was wondering about this morning while i was taking my power nap :cheers: . great minds do think alike...thinkin of installing the switch in the first aid kit area so i can push the button and at the same time push on the hatch :cheers: ...now all i need is time......
any progress on your electronic actuator method?

or can you explain more in detail about what exactly is required and I'll give it a go

·
Banned
69 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
and I'm pretty sure a vehicle with an electronic hatch pop can have a FOB made to do it

I'm not very knowledgeable on whether or not simply having an automatic locking and unlocking feature on a hatch can somehow be converted to opening it

Off hand, I can't really see how a locking function will translate to an opening function.. it would seem to need to have an entirely new actuator function added to it

I don't mind investing some money into it.. something more than a $10 fix..

I would rather spend money on something like this than on shrockworks stuff, for example

1 - 10 of 10 Posts