Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a place to mount radio and I'm wondering about the floor storage area. Is it a solid piece with the rest of the floor or can you remove it? If so what is under it? If it comes out is there a part number for it in case I ever want to replace it with a non modified version? Thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
ok, "cb radio" would've been a sufficient answer. now, what "Rear storage area" are you talking about? the one in the back of the truck? why the hell would you want to mount a cb back there? or do you mean the center console?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, "cb radio" would've been a sufficient answer. now, what "Rear storage area" are you talking about? the one in the back of the truck? why the hell would you want to mount a cb back there? or do you mean the center console?
I mean the below floor storage in the back of the X that's under the cover you lift up. It's a ham radio with removable face plate that I'll mount in the front while the actual radio unit I want under the floor in the back if possible

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
I don't have a link to any photos, but other hams have mounted their radios in the rear under floor storage compartment and used a separation cable to a remote head unit.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
hams have mounted their radios in the rear under floor storage compartment and used a separation cable to a remote head unit.
Interesting.

I'd like to see that.
A complete remote head unit? Like a single DIN size thingy?
Or is it more compact, handheld like thingy?

I know very little about HAM radios, but I'm getting more and more interested in going this direction.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mount it under the dash below the steering wheel. There's a bar that is removable so you can pull it out and mount up then reinstall the bar. Easy and much simpler running the wire to the faceplate. There's a how to on the board already. Mount the faceplate above the stereo. I'd post pics of Yaseu setup but it's in the shop currently.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Interesting.

I'd like to see that.
A complete remote head unit? Like a single DIN size thingy?
Or is it more compact, handheld like thingy?

I know very little about HAM radios, but I'm getting more and more interested in going this direction.
Harvested from the Interweb:

The head unit is mounted where you want it, for example:

Using a separation kit like this:

So that you can mount the bulky radio equipment out of sight:

Another example:

Or you can use a "ram" type mount:

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Makes ya want one, huh. :icon_smile:
You know it!
:iconbiggrin:

Need a full time Jay Oh Bee first and foremost.

Thanks for the pictures, Robert!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts