Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with the stock leaf springs, PRG AAL, PRG shackles maxed out, and 285's, what is your rear fender height? I'm trying to see if there's a difference between the lift given from that setup and the setup I'm currently having issues with.

Thanks!
-Kyle

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn, thanks guys. I knew something wasn't right with my leaf springs. At first I had them made for 3" of lift, 400lbs over stock and they were sagging like a biotch. I had them sent back to Alcan and payed another $400 to have them "re-arched" to 4.5" and 450lbs over stock so I wouldn't have to deal with the sagging for a long time. They were okay for a month if that and now I'm at 39 1/8" which is wayyy to low considering how much lift I should be getting out of them.

:bs:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
when you ordered your springs, did you tell him you had lift shackles? i believe they take the amount of lift your getting from your shackles into account when you say you want 4" of lift. so the springs themselves may only be providing 2" of lift, with the shackles making the other 2"

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you ordered your springs, did you tell him you had lift shackles? i believe they take the amount of lift your getting from your shackles into account when you say you want 4" of lift. so the springs themselves may only be providing 2" of lift, with the shackles making the other 2"
That would make sense, but I didn't mention that I was running the shackles. I would assume they're supposed to be 4.5" of lift with the stock shackles. Of course I had figured they would settle an inch at most but nothing to this extent. I wasn't planning on running the shackles maxed out until the leafs started sagging, but when I put the shackles on the lowest setting I wasn't getting hardly any lift at all, so I bumped them up to max them out.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
are your measurements with the truck unloaded? or with the quoted 450lbs? i know back when i ordered my alcans on my first gen bill asked me alot of questions about how my truck would be loaded and my current setup so he took into account that i had longer shackles, and also for where my items were stored. when my truck was unloaded it looked a little bit like a stink bug but when loaded it looked great and rode awesome

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Measurements are supposed to be unloaded, that way when I do load it down for a road trip or whatnot it will sit like it's supposed to. He asked about my bumpers/skids also so the extra weight capacity should be ontop of that. I think I'm going to just have to call him and see if they'll make it right. If not I'm going to see if I can sell them get a set Deaver's made.

With having upwards of $1k into these springs I shouldn't be having any problems with them at all, especially with them being only a few months old. Let alone having less lift than that of someone with the same truck but using only an AAL with the shackles... I had them re arched to prevent this issue in the future and I'm right back where I started!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have stock rear leafs, PRG AAL's, and PRG shackles at the lowest setting. With the weight of my rear bumper with tire carrier and full size spare I'm at exactly 39" in the rear. I can go up another inch if I wanted to. Something is definitely wrong with your setup.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something is definitely wrong with your setup.
Definitely agree.. Stock rear fender height is 35.59" and I'm at 39.125" including the extra height of the 285's.

3.535" is damn near half of what it should be!

2" lift shackles, 4.5" lift springs with 450lb weight capacity over my bumpers/skids/spare. That doesn't add up whatsoever :cussing:

My goal is to call and talk to Alcan getting a 100% refund (excluding shipping) on both the original cost, and the cost to re-arch them. If Bill wants to fuss with me, I'll then be contacting his insurance agent with a product liability claim.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
have you talked with bill about this? i know i dont have the whole story but it just seems like theres been some failure in the communication somewhere, for him to build you a pack for a truck he hasnt seen, he needs as much info about your setup as possible, and you mentioned that you didnt tell them you had shackles, so im wondering what else they didnt know about that they didnt take into account when building your springs.
im really confused why you paid to have the springs rearched if they werent right from the beginning, i wouldnt have paid additional to get what i originally paid for.

asking for a 100% refund sounds a little extreme if your going to keep the springs.

and i dont think you have a case for product liability claim, were you injured?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have you talked with bill about this? i know i dont have the whole story but it just seems like theres been some failure in the communication somewhere, for him to build you a pack for a truck he hasnt seen, he needs as much info about your setup as possible, and you mentioned that you didnt tell them you had shackles, so im wondering what else they didnt know about that they didnt take into account when building your springs.
im really confused why you paid to have the springs rearched if they werent right from the beginning, i wouldnt have paid additional to get what i originally paid for.

asking for a 100% refund sounds a little extreme if your going to keep the springs.

I wouldn't keep them, I would send them back on my expense and just ask for my money back.

As for the product liability, my parents both work in insurance and I guess that somehow this situation would apply to that although nobody has been injured.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You were definitely right, not a product liability. I'm not sure where I got that from. I brought it up with my parents and they both gave me a blank stare wanting to know where I got that from. They were asking me questions and I'm assuming I heard them wrong somewhere along the line because I was way off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts