Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving my stock 2012 X in the wonderful new snow dumped on us in Minnesota. As expected, the X was great. The car behind her, however, not quite as great at stopping, and rear ended her.

When I get back in town, what should I have looked at besides any superficial bumper damage? The other driver's insurance adjuster might just have the bumper replaced or fixed, but is there anything else structurally that deserves attention?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Find a shop YOU trust and let them give a thorough inspection and estimate. If what the shop and insurance guy say match thats great if not you should get another estimate and tell the insurance to pay the shop you select. Your wife might be getting a sore neck too

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
IMHO...
I don't care what the other guy's insurance adjuster says, I will have the shop I choose give the estimate and do the work. You should do the same. If nothing else, let your insurance pay for it and let them settle with the other company.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Find a shop YOU trust and let them give a thorough inspection and estimate. If what the shop and insurance guy say match thats great if not you should get another estimate and tell the insurance to pay the shop you select. Your wife might be getting a sore neck too
+1 take the truck to a shop of your choice and have them make the repair under your insurance co's terms. Chances are that your insurance co has already tagged the case as a 'recovery' case in which *they* go after the other guy's insurance co for the $$'s, not you.

You have neither the requirement nor the incentive to deal with the other guy's insurance company. Deal with the insurance co you pay the premiums to, the one you're a customer of and have a relationship with.

The other guy's insurance adjuster will try to scare you with 'out of pocket' costs, and thus why you should work with their shop instead of your preferred shop. Do not listen to that advice. That's good advice for them, not for you. You will probably have to pay the deductible in your policy until such a time that your insurance company gets reimbursed the other guy's. So you know what your out of pocket costs are known/fixed. However you should get that money back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for your insight. I just got back into town, so I need to make some calls today or tomorrow. You offer good advice about taking the X to a garage I trust.

Does anyone in Minneapolis know of a good garage that knows the X well? Feldman Nissan has always been fantastic to me, and I would get it looked at there, but they've been sold off to another dealership. No idea if any of the same crew is still working there. I suppose it can be my fallback.

Juice... where do you take your car?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts