Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here had any problems with the rear diff leaking ? My X is still under warranty so when I first noticed the issue I brought it in and they put a new diff cover on and sealed it up. And now here it is 7 months later and it is leaking again more than before, I checked the bolts they were all tight. I brought it up to the dealer and as I type they are putting another on and resealing it? I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen ?
2010 OR model 32,000 miles

My first X was a 2006 and I put over 100000 mi on it and it never had an issue
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
478 Posts
My rear diff was seeping oil from the cover since probably around 19k miles but it didn't seem like it was dripping oil so I held off doing anything. I took it in to the dealership at around 24k miles to look at and they said they'd pull the cover and reseal. I had intended to do the BTF cover at some point anyway so I told the dealership to just leave it. Last month at around 26k miles, I got around to getting the BTF cover with the Mag Hytec gasket and put that on. Should take care of the seeping/leaking issue.

If you don't intend to get an aftermarket diff cover, maybe trying using the Mag Hytec gasket with the stock cover. I know some say the gasket is a waste of money and RTV is the way to go but if an $18 gasket keeps the cover from leaking, I'd say it's worth it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your input!! I will explore my options and look into the gasket and other options..
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts