Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to put this in the suspension forum, but I'm not 100% sure it belongs there.

Since I've had my '06 OR, the back-end suspension just doesn't seem right and I want to make sure that it isn't just me by asking if anyone else on here has the same "problem."

When I hit a raised bump that both sides of the suspension conatact at the same time (suck as a driveway curb or a speed bump), when the back wheels "hit" the bump, it sends an abrupt "WHAM!" through the entire vehicle. It almost feels as though the whole back end is up against the rubber stops, kinda like when you overload the truck.

Is this normal and it anybody else feeling the same thing? My 1st gen X would glide over speed bumps compared to this.

I'm concerned somethin' ain't right back there... :duckie:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea you need to do an AAL in the rear. Right now the deaver mini pack with a 3 degree shim is the best cure. But you need to do spacers in thr front also to make it look right.

Or, you can do the Timbren bump stops. In How to's. But the AAL is a better cure. 2" lift.

This is a weak point on the Xterra's. Crap rear suspension, the leafs are too long and weak. Check out your lift options in the lift thread but, No AC parts! MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Check to make sure you don't have a broken spring. Mine was front on the front hook.

·
on line
81 Posts
Mine has done this since they day I took it off the lot. If I hit a bump with both the rear tires at the same time I get a jolt out of it. I started to just take things like speed bumps at a slight angle until I get the rear suspension work done.

·
on line
463 Posts
Yeppers !!! Follow MC's advice !

The stock rear springs aren't the best in the world.
I did an AAL and the Timbrens and "solved" the issue HOWEVER, I am currently speaking with a spring Co. about new springs without the
Load-leaf.
( It's the bottom straight leaf that I call the rock-catcher. )

Least costly is the angular approach to bumps.
Second action then could be the Timbrens.
Third action would be the Timbrens with an AAL.

Man, Do I love working on my X and finding new ways to spend money !

Regards,
Jim B

·
on line
641 Posts
Duck said:
When I hit a raised bump that both sides of the suspension conatact at the same time (suck as a driveway curb or a speed bump), when the back wheels "hit" the bump, it sends an abrupt "WHAM!" through the entire vehicle. It almost feels as though the whole back end is up against the rubber stops, kinda like when you overload the truck.

Is this normal and it anybody else feeling the same thing?
Maybe. Last fall, when my X was new, I experienced something that sounds (no pun intended) similar. It was when I was out of town, and driving over wide speed bumps. I reported it to the dealer, in part because of what I had read on here about "the poor rear suspension". Of course I couldn't duplicate the problem when on the test drive with the service tech. They couldn't find anything wrong, and said there wasn't any indication of the rear suspension bottoming out.

Not long after that I found a whole series of similar speed bumps not too far from where I lived. I removed everything from inside the X, such as things I had stored in the cargo area and in the under-floor storage in the cargo area. I then did some test drives, at varying speeds, over the speed bumps, and couldn't reproduce the problem. However, once I put my stuff back into the X, and repeated the test, I did get "the noise".

Since then, I have really filled up the back of my X and I can say that "the noise" I was hearing, which was due to 'stuff in the X' wasn't the same as the noise you get when you hit a bump and the X is already riding on, or very close to, the bump stops.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
If u put a bunch of loose stuff in the back u dont really hear the thump anymore. Then u just blame it on the stuff bouncing around

·
on line
564 Posts
There's only about 2 1/2" of travel in the rear before it hits the bump stops. We don't have a very stiff suspension, which is good for off road use...I think. I haven't heard the noise you're refering to, but I'm used to driving a lowered mustang, so I usually go slow over speed bumps.

Rob

·
on line
88 Posts
Any chance that if we wait it out a little longer they will issue a recall or TSB on it? Why should we have to do mods on a faulty suspension of a brand new vehicle? Nissan should step up to the plate.

·
on line
57 Posts
General Grabber said:
Any chance that if we wait it out a little longer they will issue a recall or TSB on it? Why should we have to do mods on a faulty suspension of a brand new vehicle? Nissan should step up to the plate.
My sentiments exactly! Seems awfully silly to have to go out and fix what appears to be a factory defect or poor design. Nissan should pick up the tab and correct it at the factory.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well, right now, unless Warren spring makes an A2L's With 3 degree shims, Your cheapest bet is the Deaver mini packs, But don't buy them without new U bolts and a 3 degree shim. Period. But that will cure this. Trouble is, I suggest you do a spacer lift up front also at same time, so with parts and alignment we are talking $400. or so. 4 hours install. Ive or take. Yea, I know, Nissan should fix it but they are not. Keep the receipts maybe they will pay us back. Cough cough.

With this type lift, I don't think you will need the timbrens as you won't be getting down on em. But, it's not a good lift for heavy towing as the deavers are a bit short and will stress the factory leafs, That problem is what The Warren spring lift will cure. But it's on hold for price right now, he won't sacrifice the quality for any amount of money, only 1st rate stuff, hard to hang with Calmini's cheapo AAL for that. And Warren Spring won't ship a kit missing parts such as U bolts, Center pins and center pin spacers and 3 degree shims. When and if, Once you get it, no trips to the store.

And if he don't do it, I may do it with him and we will post a parts list so you can do it with local parts from a spring shop.

MC

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
I had the same problem with my '06. I bought the Timbren rear bumpstops, and that solved the problem. The kit is actually used for Jeeps, too. Part # is JRC01. The ride is a little more bouncy in the back when I go over bumps, but that won't last for long, as I will be lifting it very soon. If you don't intend on lifting your truck, then I would suggest getting the Timbrens. The kit goes for about $169. Call around to some local truck shops.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Maybe we should all just gripe, at the bottom of the page here:
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=98&did=550 About the springs.

It says this, (And I did this on a Caddy and caused a recall on fuel rails when everyone else said I should not bitch......But they all went and got the free fuel rails when I got the recall through.) :cheers:
Support CAS' Efforts: File a complaint with CAS which will be used to pressure Nissan to take responsibility for defects in its vehicles. Become a CAS member by making a tax-deductible contribution to help us in our fight on your behalf against Nissan and the other auto giants

They also respond to parts sold for aftermarket use, such as springs for the front. I think I have an idea. I never did get that apology. MC

·
on line
34 Posts
What would it take to start a campaign on the rear suspension? Could we get something like that going, say if we all follow the same procedure to complain on a few sites. Or a service dept walkin day

·
on line
106 Posts
I'm in on trying to get Nissan to post a recal. I feel there is enough of us out there to atleast make them think about it.

·
on line
240 Posts
Is there somewhere online at Nissan or someone to call to file a complaint about these rear springs?

·
on line
975 Posts
I can't seem to find this by searching.

So here it goes.

Has anybody just cut a little off of their bump stops? If so, have you had trouble with the diff. housing smacking the body?

Thanks
>dominic

·
on line
238 Posts
I was talking to my brother the other day and we had another idea that nobody has touched on for the abrupt impact of the rear suspension.

What we perceive as bottoming out may be the normal load springs making abrupt contact with the very stiff overload leaf.

Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts