Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys guys,

I looked all over the the forums for my scenario but no one has this problem. My rear differential is leaking at the fill plug. All the seals and the drain plug look good. I was cleaning my garage and I saw a stain where my Xterra usually parks. Checked underneath I saw my differential was really moist near the fill plug and I can see some oil slowly seeping out. I unscrewed it and looks like the oil level is right near the bottom of the fill plug. Anyways, I screwed it back on as tight as possible. Not sure if it solved the leak but do you guys put any sealant or some type of temporarily wrap around the plug to make sure there are no leaks? :dontknow:

Like when you repair pipes for your sink/plumbing you use plumber's tape or thread seal tape?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the fast replies. I ended up putting some plumber tape. Looks like it did the job. Haha. Thanks again for the quick replies.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuuu... I guess I'll get some of that. I guess the plumber tape will a temporarily band aid to my problems. Lol. Alright thanks for the tip!

·
on line
2,044 Posts
Do you have the breather mod? Check your oem breather to make sure its not clooged closed and making a leak through the source of the leak.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added sealant to the plug and re-sealed the rear diff cover. I just did the rear breather mod not too long ago. Thanks though. My rear diff is now solid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts