Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So one or two weeks ago I changed out my rear diff fluid. Actually I ended up re-sealing the differential because I broke the seal when installing a Shrock diff cover. Anyway, I have no idea when the old fluid was last changed (sometime before I bought the vehicle) but it looked relatively clean, and there wasn't that much residue and metal on the drain plug. I did notice though that only about 1 3/4 quarts drained out, and I added about the expected 2 1/8 quarts before it showed full.

I have seen no evidence of leakage anywhere, so I'm not sure where the little over 1/4 quart went, unless it previously wasn't filled all the way. Any thoughts? There have been no drips that I've noticed in the last 10 months I've owned it and the rear wheels don't show signs of oil. I would expect to see some residue if it was oozing out somewhere.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I also put on that Shrock diff cover a couple of months ago. I didn't measure the amount of oil that came out - my 2012 Pro-4X had about 30k miles on it at the time. But in my case it took just under 2-quarts of new gear oil before I was topped-off at the fill plug.

I wouldn't worry about the difference you saw, there was still plenty of oil to properly lubricate the gears. Be sure to re-torque the cover bolts at least one more time.

·
on line
2,267 Posts
You drained out plenty of oil. No leaks. You are doing just fine.
The fill amount should be listed as "about 2 quarts" and forget about the fractions. Depending on if you are pointing uphill, or downhill, on a lift or not. All slightly changes how much it will hold. More is not always better, it can create more drag and heat, but too little won't lube or cool enough. The sweet spot in the middle is a pretty big window. I'm not going to test it, but I bet the axle would be happy with as little as a single quart of oil in it (so long as you were not trying to tow with it).

People thing that stuff has to be exact. It doesn't. Very few things have a fine line between to little and too much. No need to balance a razor blade in it's edge when it is completely happy laying in it's side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts