Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro-4X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I am replacing my Differential cover with an ARB and I also want to change out the breather by running a tube up to the engine compartment and use a small cone shaped air filter. Will this be safe? or should I do what most people do and run it to the tail light housing?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'd just go to the tail light, it's a lot shorter and lot easier routing.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
512 Posts
I would just run it behind tail light as well I don't see any benefits of running it all the way to the front. More chances of it getting damaged cut, snap overtime I feel like

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here you go.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. I already have all the parts, just trying to decide where to run the hose, brake lights or upper fire wall in engine bay.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why are you trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be. NO ONE cares to see you 6" filter in the engine bay. Guessing thats what your worried about or you would have already put it behind the light.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thank you for the information. I already have all the parts, just trying to decide where to run the hose, brake lights or upper fire wall in engine bay. View attachment 135614 View attachment 135615
IMO, running every single breather to one place is asking for problems. If, for some reason, you bury that one spot in water, you're flooding every single drivetrain component that's attached to that breather. Also, with it being under the hood, you're going to be more prone to getting water under there. Even making a bow wave when driving through water, some will still come in through the intake hole, the hood gaps, and possibly through the front. If you get water over the tail light, you're already in worse trouble than having to worry about water getting into the diff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why are you trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be. NO ONE cares to see you 6" filter in the engine bay. Guessing thats what your worried about or you would have already put it behind the light.
Really don't care if anyone else cares. I will put it where I want it, I don't do junk work!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO, running every single breather to one place is asking for problems. If, for some reason, you bury that one spot in water, you're flooding every single drivetrain component that's attached to that breather. Also, with it being under the hood, you're going to be more prone to getting water under there. Even making a bow wave when driving through water, some will still come in through the intake hole, the hood gaps, and possibly through the front. If you get water over the tail light, you're already in worse trouble than having to worry about water getting into the diff.
Thank you for your input! I truly appreciate your advise. That was what I was thinking and why I could not decide, so most likely I will run it to the brake light. (y):giggle:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Do you need a hug?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From ugly
To Nice

Old gear oil was still mostly clear, not as bad as I thought it would be, inside gears looked great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts