Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Friday, I heard a few strange pops coming from my rear end while cornering. I figured it was my leaf spring bushing seizing then popping under load (was about to replace them anyways). On Saturday I was driving home and I started hearing real loud pops while driving around corners. One of the times it took about 4 seconds for the rear diff to catch and then did with a loud noise, next corner "BAMMM!". She's a dead duck and my differential sounds like a dryer full of scrap metal.

I used my roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it in 09'. I just called the dealer to check on it and he said Nissan is sending out an inspector tomorrow to look at it since it is such a rare failure and a very expensive fix. I'm pretty nervous due to the lift and such, but I am keeping my fingers crossed it is covered under my 100,000 mile power-train warranty.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
This past Friday, I heard a few strange pops coming from my rear end while cornering. I figured it was my leaf spring bushing seizing then popping under load (was about to replace them anyways). On Saturday I was driving home and I started hearing real loud pops while driving around corners. One of the times it took about 4 seconds for the rear diff to catch and then did with a loud noise, next corner "BAMMM!". She's a dead duck and my differential sounds like a dryer full of scrap metal.

I used my roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it in 09'. I just called the dealer to check on it and he said Nissan is sending out an inspector tomorrow to look at it since it is such a rare failure and a very expensive fix. I'm pretty nervous due to the lift and such, but I am keeping my fingers crossed it is covered under my 100,000 mile power-train warranty.
I'm on my phone and can't see your details, is what model X and Manual or Auto, C200 or M226, e-locker or open diff etc? What's the axle info?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
That size shouldn't give them any ammunition against you ... bummer that it happened, but I bet the warranty covers it. Just remember, keep it professional and courteous, know your paperwork, and don't volunteer anything they don't explicitly ask for.

Keep us posted on how it progresses.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick question, The nissan rep will not be able to make it till tomorrow. I did not have a chance to untune my bully dog before it got towed. Im going to run over and say im getting stuff out and try to flash to back to stock. Since the dealer gets paid by nissan for the work, should I be worried about a worker at the dealer seeing me or should i just be upfront about what I'm doing if someone comes over?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Honestly, to deny a claim, they need to prove to you that a modification is the reason for the failure. The less ammo they have the better. How long does it take to put it back to stock? I don't really know what it entails, but if you could do it in less than a minute or so I would probably try.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's your vehicle. Say you need to get some things and take the program off. Do it during the day so they can't see the running lights.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only a few minutes, they had it inside one of the shop's, so it was a little tricky. A Manager brought me to the x, then I went and got my jeep to unload stuff. Hooked up the tuner and then took my time unloading crap and acting like I was searching around. I tried twice and it said the batter voltage was low. Luckily, I took long enough the manger just left me there with a good ol' boy mechanic. Once it was just us, I fired it up to get the voltage up, tuned it and then bull**** for a bit with the mechanic.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Lol a lot if drama over nothing. They don't give two ****s about a tuner. Not only do they not care. It's illegal for them to deny a claim over one.

However, it's always a good idea to return to stock for dealership visits. If they do an ECM update you will lose your tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Lol a lot if drama over nothing. They don't give two ****s about a tuner. Not only do they not care. It's illegal for them to deny a claim over one.

However, it's always a good idea to return to stock for dealership visits. If they do an ECM update you will lose your tune.

It's not illegal for them to void the warranty because of it... it would just be hard to prove a tuner was the difference between something breaking or not. It really depends on the dealership.
Personally, I would have returned it to stock... but it isn't that likely they'd give a crap, but they could drag their feet because of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Dammit I had a much longer reasons but the mobile app crashed.

Are you familiar with the magnuson moss warranty act? They would have a tough time proving that a tuner caused a differential failure. They could try to void on account of the lift but since he's only running 265s I doubt they would try to hard to push that. It would be tough to prove.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Dammit I had a much longer reasons but the mobile app crashed.

Are you familiar with the magnuson moss warranty act? They would have a tough time proving that a tuner caused a differential failure. They could try to void on account of the lift but since he's only running 265s I doubt they would try to hard to push that. It would be tough to prove.

Yes, I'm familiar. The basic premise is that unless an aftermarket part can be proven to directly cause a failure, the warranty cant be voided.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nissan is trying to deny the warranty saying so someone has been in the differential and used aftermarket gaskets. The only people who have been in the diff is a Nissan dealer when doing a diff service an I have the record. This is ridiculous, got my case number an am going to fight this.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Provide them with the dealership record of the repair/service and your service history. It should work itself out. Also ask to see the alleged aftermarket gasket in question. If they show it to you, take pics of it.

Its annoying, but if you do that they should back off pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts