Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post will seem like it belongs in the Suspension section...but maybe both there and here?

I have been having an intermittent clunk on my calmini lifted 2005 offroad. The clunk sounds like the right rear quarter area. This has been coming and going for probably a month. You can feel a bit of the clunk in the floor, or so it seems. The clunk occurs when you start from a dead stop. I think it has to be something connected to the body / Frame.

So, today I finally had some time to throw the truck on jack stands. I thought for sure I would find a loose spring mounting bolt, shock, or? Nothing I can find. I had to stop working, so didn't have time to check the torque specs.

With the truck in the air, I tried wiggling the axle back and forth to see if I could hear the clunk. What I heard is interesting. With the tire on, you can get a little clunk at the wheel. I had my son wiggle the tire and I pinched the rotor against the backing plate and could stop the movement.

Also, if you turn one tire, the other side turns. You cannot hold one tire while the other is turned...they feel locked. The truck does not act locked when driving however.

If you will recall, I took the truck into the dealership some months ago due to a leak where the locker wiring goes into the diff housing. When I got the truck back, it was stuck in the locked position. I drove home with it locked, about 30 miles on the freeway. When I got home, the truck was jolting pretty good on turns. I took it into the dealership and they said they fixed it. Don't know if it is related.

So here are the questions:

1. The slight bit of play at the tire does not seem right?
2. Should the tires both turn like that on the offroad when the diff is not locked via the locker switch?
3. Any thoughts on the clunk that got me heading down this path?

·
on line
552 Posts
I can only answer the second one. if you turn one tire, the other should turn in the opposite direction. This would be the open diff effect. If it is doing something else, i don't know what it could be. goodluck!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
JtaoJ said:
If you will recall, I took the truck into the dealership some months ago due to a leak where the locker wiring goes into the diff housing.
You mean it was leaking diff fluid? Did they just fix the leak? How low and how long was it low? Maybe you damaged the gears if the oil was too low and you didn't catch it right away.

And then something went wrong at the dealer and you drove it locked for a while? Nice. Damn dealer should have proven it wasn't damaged or replaced it.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well jtaoj, No. 1 is normal--

--No. 2 is the obvious indication of a LOCKED differential--

--No. 3 is probably the INDICATION that because you've driven on asphalt, with the rear diff. LOCKED, suspension parts are LOOSENING UP--

--IMMEDIATELY GO TO DEALER, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

--An engineered diff for locked operation, will operate like this forever, but this X diff. just ain't that way and no, there's nothing you can do, the more you drive it under these conditions, the more chance of TOTAL failure and possible warranty trouble !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,125 Posts
it could also be a warn out rear u joint. not to sure though. on my 95 blazer, when the rear u joint needed to be replaced it would make a "CLUNK" under the initial load, or right after i started to move in any direction from a full stop. I dont think that the u joints in our X's are servicable though. my suggestion would be to take it to the stealership and have them come out and look and listen to it. they could be a better judge of what might be the problem. if they do fix or replace something i would ask to see the broken piece that came off of ure truck to make sure that they didnt do a half-*** job and jerry rig it somehow. just my 2 cents....

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JIMBO said:
:clown: Well jtaoj, No. 1 is normal--

--No. 2 is the obvious indication of a LOCKED differential--

--No. 3 is probably the INDICATION that because you've driven on asphalt, with the rear diff. LOCKED, suspension parts are LOOSENING UP--

--IMMEDIATELY GO TO DEALER, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

--An engineered diff for locked operation, will operate like this forever, but this X diff. just ain't that way and no, there's nothing you can do, the more you drive it under these conditions, the more chance of TOTAL failure and possible warranty trouble !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
Wow on #1. So it is normal to have play.

On #2, I double checked tonight. When I spin one wheel, the other spins opposite. So, all is well I think. For some reason, Sunday, I thought they were turning the same direction.

I checked everything suspension-wise, and not luck on finding anything that would cause the clunk....errrrrgggg. Could the spring pack make popping noises?

With regard to the oil leak...it was just a wet spot on the diff. I do not think anything substantial leaked. I did check the oil before taking it into the dealership way back, and the level was good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts