Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim,

Is there any updates on this? I think you were talking about a beefier cover. I have had to hammer mine back twice already. Since I'll be changing the diff fluid here shortly, I was wondering if there was any new status.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
The bottom of my dif cover looked like mangled hamburger.

I banged the thing back into order. Then, I used a grinder to it to smooth the thing out. Now, the bottom lip is completely smooth with the axle. Like it should be. :blackeye:

That's the problem with the D44's on the OR Xterras. A small portion of the cover extends past the axle. It can catch on obstacles and pull itself away from the axle. Not good!

I'm going to change the fluid soon so I'll pull the cover completely off and really clean it up. The bottom bolts are chewed to pieces though...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
05XOR said:
The bottom of my dif cover looked like mangled hamburger.

I banged the thing back into order. Then, I used a grinder to it to smooth the thing out. Now, the bottom lip is completely smooth with the axle. Like it should be. :blackeye:

That's the problem with the D44's on the OR Xterras. A small portion of the cover extends past the axle. It can catch on obstacles and pull itself away from the axle. Not good!

I'm going to change the fluid soon so I'll pull the cover completely off and really clean it up. The bottom bolts are chewed to pieces though...
yep, sounds like mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts