Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an unfortunate incident the future of my X is in flux. I’m weighing some options for a number of replacements should it come to that and I found a 2015 P4X 6MT with 76k on the clock. It’s 120 miles away so I’m gathering info via email and the following photo came back. Clearly there is some kind of leak my question to you all is what do you think is causing the leak? Failed RTV? Brake fluid? It appears to be on top of the diff. The dealership BTW claims there’s no leak.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That's not really a leak, just gear oil seeping through the seal. It will need to have the RTV replaced, which is a pretty easy job. Drain fluid, remove diff cover, remove old RTV, clean up mating surfaces, apply RTV, install diff cover, let RTV cure for 24hrs, re-torque bolts, and service with gear oil.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not really a leak, just gear oil seeping through the seal. It will need to have the RTV replaced, which is a pretty easy job. Drain fluid, remove diff cover, remove old RTV, clean up mating surfaces, apply RTV, install diff cover, let RTV cure for 24hrs, re-torque bolts, and service with gear oil.
That was my first thought but would it be weeping through the top like that?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That was my first thought but would it be weeping through the top like that?
It could seep through like that, kind of like a sponge from the bottom. There's also the potential it could seep from the top because fluid is moving throughout the entire diff when the gears are spinning. When I redid the seal on my Frontier, almost the entire bottom of the diff looked like yours, but there were no wet spots on the ground.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had similar issue after a long hard day on the road(1600 miles in 24 hours) and was weeping around the entire seam. Most of the issue was because the vent was plugged by mud daubers. Evicted the nest and washed the case and never had the issue again

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
That is pretty normal weepage. When you have drips on the ground or oil mist on the back window, that is a leak.
The entire amount of oil you are seeing weeping is very little, less than half an ounce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts