Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Negative Dan, that's the M226, just the early year version with 2 Spider gears.

I agree the ring and pinion aren't set up right, thus the whine. OP, take it back.

And yes 75W-140 Full synthetic.
Thank you guys, contacted him today said he will check it out 1st thing Monday. For whatever reason he is really sold on the 80W90...Feels odd telling the mechanic what oil to put in there but I guess I will let him know!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
For whatever reason he is really sold on the 80W90
As per the FSM.

80W 90 is for the front.

Front Differential (R180): API GL-5 SAE synthetic blend 80W-90 Gear Oil, Capacity: 1 3/4 pt. (Full synthetic can be used)

I have never found full synthetic 80w90 but you can use 75W90 which is available in full Synthetic.

Rear Differential (M226): API GL-5 Full Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil (E-Locker requires synthetic), Capacity: 4 1/4 pt.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
As per the FSM.

80W 90 is for the front.

Front Differential (R180): API GL-5 SAE synthetic blend 80W-90 Gear Oil, Capacity: 1 3/4 pt. (Full synthetic can be used)

I have never found full synthetic 80w90 but you can use 75W90 which is available in full Synthetic.

Rear Differential (M226): API GL-5 Full Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil (E-Locker requires synthetic), Capacity: 4 1/4 pt.
Noted. I will print out the FSM specifications to bring to him. All my prior maintenance has been 75w-140 for the m226.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Can someone confirm the gear ratio of the m226 rear diff? Mechanic can't figure out the cause for the noise after tearing it apart twice now... Is it 3.36?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can someone confirm the gear ratio of the m226 rear diff? Mechanic can't figure out the cause for the noise after tearing it apart twice now... Is it 3.36?

Thanks

3.36 for Auto, 3.69 manual
the noise is not getting the R&P setup just like it was before teardown. If he didn't measure accurately before teardown, its very hard to get it set back up without some noise. If I'd done the work myself, I'd live with the noise. but if I'd paid for it, I might push for it redone with new gears... its a personal call. if the noise is minor, it might wear itself into the new pattern, but it might just make noise for another 100k. I once did a R&P in my 76gmc and it howled for 50k before I sold it, and next owner still has the howl 80k later...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
This still doesn’t explain why the mechanic is suggesting the wrong gear oil, but Nissan did change the spec for a few years. Then changed it back to 75w-140. And the consensus is sticking with the heavier one regardless of model year.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
3.36 for Auto, 3.69 manual
the noise is not getting the R&P setup just like it was before teardown. If he didn't measure accurately before teardown, its very hard to get it set back up without some noise. If I'd done the work myself, I'd live with the noise. but if I'd paid for it, I might push for it redone with new gears... its a personal call. if the noise is minor, it might wear itself into the new pattern, but it might just make noise for another 100k. I once did a R&P in my 76gmc and it howled for 50k before I sold it, and next owner still has the howl 80k later...
This is good info, thank you. Sounds like I'm getting a new R&P. He will not charge me for labor, just parts. I'm cool with that.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This still doesn’t explain why the mechanic is suggesting the wrong gear oil, but Nissan did change the spec for a few years. Then changed it back to 75w-140. And the consensus is sticking with the heavier one regardless of model year.

I did see that while researching. Just a blanket recommendation that he had I believe. When I printed out the specifications from the FSM and showed him, he used 75w140 upon the subsequent teardowns.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
FINALLY got the X back. I think that's the longest I've been away from the X in 11 years, I was having withdrawals!

Rear diff was quiet as a church mouse on the way home with the new rack and pinion. He only charged me his cost for parts. He did mention that the spline count was different which required a new yoke, did the spline count change over the years (2005 OR)?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts