Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And now that you're home safe, please post pics of the carnage you find. Curious minds want to know.
Had it towed to a reputable gear shop a couple of hours ago. Told him once he opened it up I want to see or at least get pictures of the damage. I wanted to attempt myself but with family and work demands it's just not practical.

Started researching old threads about what I can replace with... I love the x but ever since it hit 100k I've been having problems. Evap, rack and pinion, crankshaft position sensor, and now this. I figured I just keep repairing it as I don't want a payment and bought the X with cash over 10 years ago now. Thinking about an ARB air Locker...

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And now that you're home safe, please post pics of the carnage you find. Curious minds want to know.
Okay here we go, just walked out of the shop. He explained everything to me and said it was the spider gears that blew and that he can rebuild it. Everything else looked fine. After doing some research I saw that the 05 - 07 models have two spider gears while 08+ have 4; he called his supplier and confirmed I would be getting four spider gears. Quoted $1,500.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I am absolutely STUNNED the busted spider gears didn't trash the ring and pinion (I assume I'm reading that right) Make sure they check those with a friggen microscope, ya certainly don't want to do that twice..... Like I have

$1500 seems a bit high, but I don't know how much of that is parts. I paid $760 to have a new Pinon bearing put in last fall. A couple hundred of that is the master install kit, which you'll need to, so add in a new carrier and you might be right there.

Evap, rack and pinion, crankshaft position sensor, and now this
At 100K that's nothing. Keep the X. Those things are minor.

Lets see I've replaced....
Brakes and Rotors 3 times
Front Hubs
Rear bearings
Timing chain
The evap canister solenoid clean out is just a yearly thing

That list does not include anything that was caused by wheeling it or modding it.... which is a much bigger and more expensive list ...lol

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
ARB makes a better differential. Has 4 spider gears instead of 2 (force is more dispersed). And you get a locker as well. If the pinion is setup right there is no reason to touch it. the carrier adjusters are threaded. So no master install kit needed. Just a couple of new carrier bearings.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I gotta tell ya, I am absolutely STUNNED the busted spider gears didn't trash the ring and pinion (I assume I'm reading that right) Make sure they check those with a friggen microscope, ya certainly don't want to do that twice..... Like I have

$1500 seems a bit high, but I don't know how much of that is parts. I paid $760 to have a new Pinon bearing put in last fall. A couple hundred of that is the master install kit, which you'll need to, so add in a new carrier and you might be right there.

At 100K that's nothing. Keep the X. Those things are minor.

Lets see I've replaced....
Brakes and Rotors 3 times
Front Hubs
Rear bearings
Timing chain
The evap canister solenoid clean out is just a yearly thing

That list does not include anything that was caused by wheeling it or modding it.... which is a much bigger and more expensive list ...lol
You're reading it right, he showed me everything and said it was good. Even if it's a bit high, I'm happy. Seems like a great shop and I don't exactly live in a low cost of living area.

I think I was spoiled with the durability of the X since I've owned it. I've done the pads/rotors/spark plugs but I expect those things and just consider it ongoing maintenance. Rack and pinion and this is some $$$ (trying not think about the possibility of a timing chain). I love going on the adventures with the X though, and I've been thinking of doing more mods (aluminum HFB front bumper, upgrade the suspension, etc.) but was hesitant on a 15 year old vehicle. At least the miles are low (108k). Definitely going to keep it as long as I can!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
138 miles on just a over 1/4 tank. Lucky! I was right above the empty line at 209 miles yesterday.

Awesome how spot on the first reply was. Glad you got it fixed, looks like a fun area!

·
Registered
8 Posts
With 4H on asphalt you are risking binding the drivetrain in turns but no real problem driving straight highway. I would change back to 2wd for any significant turns; binding is pretty hard on the U joints. Glad you made it back ok!

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I got the X back today but something seems weird when driving. The vehicle feels fine, however when I let off the gas and coast it seems like there is a whining sound coming from the rear. Almost as if there is a low tire or something stuck in the tire treads (there isnt), seems to coincide with the speed. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
That sucks. Take it back something isn’t right. I would guess something with the ring an pinion seeing as it wasn’t replaced. The more you drive the more you risk trashing something else.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I should also note he put 80W90 gear oil in there. Calling him tomorrow

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
386 Posts
I blew up my spider gears in Moab a few years ago, and had it fixed with a set of used spiders. You have the C200k rear axle. For the cost of an ARB Air locker, you can source a M226 out of a P4x with the e-locker and come out at about the same price, give or take a few bucks, and end up with a much stronger rear axle with the locker. The C200k is a much weaker axle compared to the M226 with the e-locker. I replaced mine that way and have not had any issues with the drive train since.

·
386 Posts
Well I got the X back today but something seems weird when driving. The vehicle feels fine, however when I let off the gas and coast it seems like there is a whining sound coming from the rear. Almost as if there is a low tire or something stuck in the tire treads (there isnt), seems to coincide with the speed. Any ideas?

The whining noise is pinion gear contact noise to the ring gear. If it's real loud, then the gear set isn't set properly. BTW, the c200k needs 75w-90 gear oil and the M226 uses the 75w-140 because of the e-locker.

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
You have the C200k rear axle.
Negative Dan, that's the M226, just the early year version with 2 Spider gears.

I agree the ring and pinion aren't set up right, thus the whine. OP, take it back.

And yes 75W-140 Full synthetic.

·
386 Posts
Negative Dan, that's the M226, just the early year version with 2 Spider gears.

I agree the ring and pinion aren't set up right, thus the whine. OP, take it back.
OK, didn't see he had an off road. I agree then.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts