Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at a sweet camp site on the mojave road, but I can't enjoy because I think my rear diff is about to go. Loud clicking sounds coming from the rear diff area during tight turns and small off camber stuff. Seems to be getting worse. I'm exiting tomorrow but it's going to be a trek still. Any advice to possibly mitigate this issue to better my chances of getting myself and 5 year old of the trail tomorrow??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
4 Wheel Drive all the way home. Worst case, pull the rear drive shaft, and seal up the transfer case output shaft with zip ties and plastic bags as tight as possible, and drive out in front wheel drive (only as a last ditch effort)...... the reality is if your rear diff is toast, driving it farther is just more toast. 4 wheel drive is your real answer.

Cell, Cb or Ham, Spot for assistance.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Call someone which can follow you out.
Pray

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, have about 6 hours on highway as well...I called the wife at home and put her on standby :/

Thanks guys

·
Registered
86 Posts
look up the high desert rescue on facebook just in case... i frequent the mojave road often... where are you?

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
look up the high desert rescue on facebook just in case... i frequent the mojave road often... where are you?
will do thanks. I'm here with a lot of other rigs for the night, think we're near lava tubes

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high desert rescue looks to be a private FB group? Bad cell service, if you could pull a # 4 me I would appreciate

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Give us an update once your home safely

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About to get off the Mojave Road, airing up now to head into Baker, California. With another rig should be good, fingers crossed. Willl update more later. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the noise is when I'm turning, we're thinking spider gears?? No noise going straight. I'm going 55 on the freeway in four-wheel drive and I'm concerned about doing that for six straight hours. I'm tempted to put in 2 wheel drive... Am I crazy?

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, started making some small noises, wasn't comfortable with it put it back in for high. Think there's any issues driving extended period at 55 in 4 high?

·
TNX Veteran
4,088 Posts
Got home safely last night driving 55 in 4 high for about 350 miles! Thank you everyone especially @IM1RU !

Very happy you made home safely with your little one. Best of luck finding the issue and getting it fixed for many more adventures.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home OK. Will be interesting to find out what the issue was when you get a chance to tear into it.

It looks like the MPG loss from 4WD is offset by the MPG gain in going slower. I know I get my best mileage around 55-60 and it drops quickly when I start going over 70.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts