Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been having a clunk in the ass end going over bumps any speed, somtimes it just doesn't happen.

I decided to jack up the rear off the ground and check the tires for play, if i hit them while off the ground i can make a clunk noise, not the loudest, And might be normal. And also while spinning the tires I noticed the diff making noise, kinda sounds normal but Im not sure. I really have no clue about diffs.

If i grab a tire and turn it left to right i can also make a noise, but that seems normal considering they should have some play i would think because the diff is open..

anyways, heres a silly video. let me know what you guys think..

I was in neutral, in 2 wheel drive.

Im trying to figure out if maybe the clunk is a bearing or gear, so if i should do this test different, maybe in 4x4 let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4N6ylCL5PM&feature=youtu.be

thought id post this here too, made a vid of the rear end driving. just to see if i could see or hear, anything wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmpZKRJv7i0&feature=youtu.be

anything catch your eye, cause looks good to me

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm thinking what you are hearing is a gap between the gears. The more worn it gets the bigger the gap. I would definitely drain it like the previous comment said. but if you don't know what your looking at then it won't do you much good. When is the last time you changed your diff fluid?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would say the same from the little experience I have, I'm guessing with your rig you have been changing your fluid. I have little bit of that noise in my x as well especially after I did the lift, I just got used to it. I'm not sure about pushing wheels on the side and having that noise, I would have to check.
Little bit off the subject do you guys know what makes that squeaking noise on the second video? My X sounds about the same if i comes to the noises you have been describing in the videos, with many miles it just does it...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
When you're spinning the wheel back and fourth and it makes that clunk, thats just the play in the gears like said before, but when you hit the wheel in and it makes a clunk, that isnt normal. Could be a wheel bearing or something inside the diff idk...like you, i'm not an expert, but I know the first noise like i said is normal, the second doesnt sound normal to me. Hopefully someone else can chime in that knows more.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say the same from the little experience I have, I'm guessing with your rig you have been changing your fluid. I have little bit of that noise in my x as well especially after I did the lift, I just got used to it. I'm not sure about pushing wheels on the side and having that noise, I would have to check.
Little bit off the subject do you guys know what makes that squeaking noise on the second video? My X sounds about the same if i comes to the noises you have been describing in the videos, with many miles it just does it...
Yeah. But the clunk I'm trying to find isn't normal. It's new and something an it right

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
is that a ratcheting kinda sound i'm hearing when you're turning the wheel one direction or another? do it again but leave the transmission in park, it'll help you distinguish if the noise is coming from the u-joint or the axle. the noise when you turn the wheel back and forth is just the backlash in the spider gears and ring and pinion, its normal.

if you put it in park and turn one tire, the rotation should be smooth, with a consistent sound as it goes around coming from the diff, if it hitches or clicks or jams up, you might have spider gear damage. seems like you might have a lot of play in either the spiders or the ring and pinion. how many miles are on the truck?

p. s. i loved the commentary throughout the video, lol

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Here is a video from IZVERG when his spiders ate it, that ratcheting noise is what i'm talking about. usually happens when one or more teeth get broken off of the spider gears. its also the same kind of thing i saw when one of the frontier guys broke his rear diff back in november. he said he found 3 or 4 spider teeth in the bottom of the case when he pulled the cover:

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/IZVERG/media/General Xterra/a12325d3.mp4.html

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
The play you described in the first video is in my opinon normal and if it where the spiders they could be alot more apparent. My buddy N.Y.X threw in an m226 and was getting a massive clunk every time he would turn hard left, because the spiders where losing grip. As far as personal experience in my old c200k I had blown a spider gear and not even realized it until i replaced the axel. So i believe in in a locked diff, metal would be apparent. Only thing that stood out was the play in the passenger side shock on your second video but if you tighten everything under your axel and its still persistence with the noise I would put money on internal damage of some kind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts