Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I change my own oil on a regular basis, but I have never changed the differential fluid in any of my trucks.

I don't have the service manual and I searched for a How-to here with no luck.

I am interested in checking or changing my rear differential fluid, and the fluid in my transfer case.

This would be two great How-to posts if someone has done this before and it is more than one step.

Thanks,

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll be doing mine here soon so I can do a more detailed how-to then.

But in short, changing gear oil is easier than a motor oil change.

-Park on a level surface.
-Stick pan under drain plug.
-Take out the fill plug.
-Take out drain plug.
-Wait for all fluid to drain.
-Clean drain plug and drain opening with a rag.
-Apply a thread sealant to the threads of the plug. *Note: According to the service manual the drain plug on the C200 has a gasket that should be changed so sealant probably isn't necessary.
-Tighten drain plug. (Torque Specs: C200: 49 ft-lbs M226: 27 ft-lbs)
-Using either a flexible funnel (or a bottle pump) fill up the diff from the fill plug. *Full is when the oil is just below the fill hole (should be able to stick your finger in and feel it).
-Clean fill plug and fill opening with a rag.
-Apply thread sealant to the threads of the plug.
-Tighten fill plug. (Torque Specs: C200: 49 ft-lbs M226: 34 ft-lbs)

Specs:

C200:
Torque Specs:
-Drain Plug: 49 ft-lbs (replace gasket)
-Fill Plug: 49 ft-lbs (use RTV sealant)

Fluid:
-Type: Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil
-Capacity: 3 3/8 qt

M226:
Torque Specs:
-Drain Plug: 27 ft-lbs (use RTV sealant)
-Fill Plug: 34 ft-lbs (use RTV sealant)

Fluid:
-Type: Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil
-Capacity: 4 1/4 qt

·
on line
3,217 Posts
lostboy said:
how do you know how tight you are torquing the plugs down?
With a torque wrench.

·
on line
429 Posts
Muzikman said:
Sorry, that should be qt's Typo :)
It's PINTS, my M226 dif only took two bottles of oil before it started to overflow. I bought 3 bottles to get the extra 1/4 pint. It was $14 at NAPA, so if that matters to you, you could probably get a way with 2 bottles.

By the way, I changed mine at about 48K and it looked brand new. And I have spent a lot of time in mud and water.

·
on line
429 Posts
Syndicate said:
Is it the transmition fluid that has to be Nissan brand so as not to void waranty?
Not sure, but it does say in the owners manual service section (not the service manual) to take it to the dealer for the dif fluid change.

·
on line
59 Posts
I have a c200 and I did the fluid change my self as well and it only took 2 bottles as well. I don't know why

·
on line
510 Posts
If you have aftermarket springs back there, then you might have slightly changed your pinion angle on your diff when doing the install.

My 1st Gen took slightly less than it said in the FSM as well, but it isn't much and shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How do I know if I have a C200 or an M226? I have an 06 Off-Road. I want to change my diff fluid and I noticed the C200 takes a 75w-90 an the M226 takes 75w-140 for the rear diff.(looked everywhere, couldn't find an answer)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found it, looks like its the M226

2nd gen Xterra differentials & gear ratios
Non-OR 2nd gen with automatic transmissions have the C200 open rear differential, and 3.13 gear ratio.
Non-OR 2nd gen with manual transmissions have the M226 open rear differential, and 3.54 gear ratio.
OR 2nd gen with automatic transmission have the M226 with e-locker rear differential, and 3.36 gear ratio.
OR 2nd gen with manual transmission have the M226 with e-locker rear differential, and 3.69 gear ratio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts