Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Don't know about C200 but M226 Axle shafts are 1.41" which is the same as Dana 60s. I can't find my calipers but the pinion looks to be about 1.25" at the splines
By my understanding, most of those M226 failures were on early 05 models and involved a flaw in the spider gear design that has been corrected. You might ultimately be right. Maybe the C200 is just as strong as the M226. But there's a reason Nissan uses the M226 on the OR X and there's a reason they use it on the Titan. There's also a reason D44s are prized among off-roaders for their durability. You might read the data differently than I do, but there's no reason to be an ass about it.
Thanks for all the info. I knew it was a D44 variant but was curious what the difference was and why they went with 2 different axles on the same vehicle.

A quick bit of the google-fu shows that the M226 does have a higher spline count, but that the C200 may be Nissan's answer to the Dana 44. In the big picture, both appear to be strong enough. The early failures with the spider gear in the M226 have been addressed, etc.

The M226 does have 12 bolts on the rear cover (just went out and counted).

With the M226 you get the ability to re-gear, factory locker standard, and it makes you more attractive to the ladies. Since it's also a D44 variant, I believe there's better aftermarket support for it. If you had that and the 3 wolves tee, you'd have to put up electrified fence to keep the ladies away.
Mine is a M226 with out a locker, but I do have a sweet 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I knew it was a D44 variant but was curious what the difference was and why they went with 2 different axles on the same vehicle.
Most likely it's a cost issue. Jeep uses D44 rear axles on all JK Wranglers (except a handful of early 07s), but only the Rubicon has the D44 up front. Others get the D30. Beefy axles are expensive.

·
on line
2,615 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I knew it was a D44 variant but was curious what the difference was and why they went with 2 different axles on the same vehicle.
The manuals and OR require a stronger axle but the other models can get away with a smaller and cheaper one.

Whatever Nissans design requirements and safety factors were the C200 didn't meet them for manuals and ORs. I'm speculating on this but for anyone familiar machine design and/or fatigue failure its pretty obvious that this is the case.

·
on line
2,165 Posts
I blew my M226 on my OR 08 6speed.

Stealership said it was the spider gears, no mention of the locker, but im pretty sure the locker caused it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The spider gears are inside the locker. So when when people are blowing up the rear end in an M226, it's most likely the spider gears inside the locker.

I think La Rana was the only person I know to pop an axle shaft on an M226.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
i blew my m226 on my or 08 6speed.

Stealership said it was the spider gears, no mention of the locker, but im pretty sure the locker caused it.
nttawwt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the clarification. I am now smarter (at least on this subject). Oh, and here comes a herd of women, now that they know what rear end I have!

·
on line
6,543 Posts
5 volts on the fence should be sufficient. That'll let the strongest ones through.

Reactions: Leonard4X4

·
Registered
72 Posts
i dont know if it is just me, but my e-locker in my 07 OR doesn't always like to disengage and i am sure that it really cant be good for anything when that happens. just my input. :)

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Difference is one thing and maybe some minor things but with the important s its just one

c200- not locker capable
m226- locker capable

·
on line
6,543 Posts
i dont know if it is just me, but my e-locker in my 07 OR doesn't always like to disengage and i am sure that it really cant be good for anything when that happens. just my input. :)
Happens to me, too. What I've discovered to help with this is don't go wheeling all day with the locker on. Selectively engage and disengage it when you actually need it. I didn't use to do that - I'd turn it on as soon as I hit the trails and then run with it on all day. By only using it for shorter periods of time I've found that it disengages much quicker.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
you are never supposed to wheel with thr locker on at all times...ever. it is to overcome obstacles you could not otherwise get past...that is it. mine disengages perfectly every single time....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I thought auto Xterras no mater what trim level had C200 diffs.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
you are never supposed to wheel with thr locker on at all times...ever. it is to overcome obstacles you could not otherwise get past...that is it. mine disengages perfectly every single time....
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep - I learned that last time around. The confusion for me was the first time I went out it was more of a muddy mess and I was on stock tires, so I needed the locker for, well, everything. I kept up the poor behavior until I learned otherwise.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
I thought auto Xterras no mater what trim level had C200 diffs.
nope....or auto xterras have m226's with an e-locker and a 3.36 ratio...and are the only axles out of the box compatible with an oem m205 (titan swap)....

this happens to be the axle i swapped into my xterra after i blew apart my driveline in aug.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
6,543 Posts
That's 'cause OR version kick ass.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
nope....or auto xterras have m226's with an e-locker and a 3.36 ratio...and are the only axles out of the box compatible with an oem m205 (titan swap)....

this happens to be the axle i swapped into my xterra after i blew apart my driveline in aug.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah i remember those graphic pictures. Im glad the 08+ diffs are stonger now all I have to worry about is the crap front diff.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^ FWIW...on paper the M226 is stronger than the M205 titan front diff.....esp the ones from 08+ you should be good with the M226...it has an 8.8" ring gear....which is larger than the 8.5" ring gear in a standard D44 axle.

and yes...that day back in august SUCKED....HARD....but without i I would not be titan swapped right now...so i guess there was def some good that came out of it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts