Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the two diffs? My Xterra is an 07 with 6MT, 4WD. Theoretically which diff would my rig have?
Thanks

·
on line
7,144 Posts
One has 12 bolts holding on the cover and the 200 has 8

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The only thing that has been blowing on the M226 is the locker and most of them were pre-07's with the 2 planetary gears.

That's not saying that the actual axle is weaker or stronger than the C200.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Austex, you're talking out of your butt. There is no proof that its stronger. And as far as rear diffs blwoing. On this site I can't think of 1 c200 that's blown. Its always been m226's w issues. Do some searching.
Posted via Mobile Device
By my understanding, most of those M226 failures were on early 05 models and involved a flaw in the spider gear design that has been corrected. You might ultimately be right. Maybe the C200 is just as strong as the M226. But there's a reason Nissan uses the M226 on the OR X and there's a reason they use it on the Titan. There's also a reason D44s are prized among off-roaders for their durability. You might read the data differently than I do, but there's no reason to be an ass about it.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Well... without having to tear anything apart I can say that the M226 ring gear is larger by 26 millimeters :) I would be curious to compare pinions and axle shafts.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless you're supercharged and doing burnouts with 35's (cough... Eddie.... cough) the C200 seems to hold up just fine.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
A quick bit of the google-fu shows that the M226 does have a higher spline count, but that the C200 may be Nissan's answer to the Dana 44. In the big picture, both appear to be strong enough. The early failures with the spider gear in the M226 have been addressed, etc.

The M226 does have 12 bolts on the rear cover (just went out and counted).

With the M226 you get the ability to re-gear, factory locker standard, and it makes you more attractive to the ladies. Since it's also a D44 variant, I believe there's better aftermarket support for it. If you had that and the 3 wolves tee, you'd have to put up electrified fence to keep the ladies away.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is, it's totally different than your fathers D44 and there are only bits and pieces of other D44 variants that will fit it, so I would not count on the fact that it's a D44 variant to bring in more aftermarket. The only reason you see the aftermarket it has now is because it's also used in the Titan.

With the M226 you get the ability to re-gear, factory locker standard, and it makes you more attractive to the ladies. Since it's also a D44 variant, I believe there's better aftermarket support for it. If you had that and the 3 wolves tee, you'd have to put up electrified fence to keep the ladies away.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
But it still gets the ladies, amirite?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts