Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2005 Off Road X a few weeks ago began making first a rotational/speed related squeaking from the rear area when backing up. But now, after doing several hundred models of towing we have a loud clicking/ratchet sound when going forward thats intermittent and increases with speed as well. Also a vibration when you get up around 40 mph & higher. Louder when backing up.
I listened with the door open and seems tpo be coming from the rear, not forward.

Stock with BFG 265's. 167k miles. Unsure if previous driveline service has been done.

Hoping something simple like U joints ;-)

Thank you in advance. :salute:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks boyz. Would NAPA replacements be appropriate ? Need it done ASAP and theres a NAPA down the street, but also a great 4WD center nearby too (I can prolly do the job myself with the help a mechanic buddy).

Thanks again :notworthy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks boyz. Would NAPA replacements be appropriate ? Need it done ASAP and theres a NAPA down the street, but also a great 4WD center nearby too (I can prolly do the job myself with the help a mechanic buddy).

Thanks again :notworthy:
It's def do-able by yourself, if you have a friend who's a mechanic helping hands down you can do it. I did mine by myself, first time ever changing one and it was very simple. I used a ball joint press from harbor freight worked like a charm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. But I'm not sure now if the U joints are def the problem.

First of all - where the hell is the rear driveshaft rear u joint??? Is there one? The rear of the rear driveshaft just bolts up to a flange type thing and within appears to be black boot of some sort (can't attach a pic).

Everything is pretty rusty I must admit tho.

First, I jacked the rear in neutral to ensure the rear spins smoothly : both wheels spun opposite and the gear felt and sounded smooth. Then I spun the rear driveshaft and there was only the minimal play as usual.... but there was NO up and down slop. Felt tight. No clicking or grinding.

Then I thought maybe the sound and vibration is actually coming from the front DS. So I jacked the front, again spinning the DS was smooth, the front wheels spun opposite each other. No up and down slop or clicking or grinding in the front DS/joints.

Ugh ! Any assistance appreciated!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
The u joint that is your problem is at the front end of the rear driveshaft. It can feel tight as can be, but still be dried out and noisey. It's a $10-15 part that takes 20 minutes to change. 99% chance that's your problem, and if it's not, than you serviced your truck by replacing a serviceable part that would have required service at some point anyway, so you write off the $15 and 20 minutes of time as doing maintence.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My rear u joint started going bad after i got done lifting it. It started out as a small squeak in reverse and the more miles i put on it the worse it squeaked, mind you still only going in reverse. I did the same thing you did, jacked it up checked for play and what not and everything seemed tight so I moved on to checking all the new suspension parts and everything checked out. A week later i was finally fed up with the squeak and i pulled the rear u joint apart and the needle bearings in three of the caps were in tiny rusty pieces. Long story short its a simple and cheap thing to replace and you'd be surprised what the condition of it might be even tho there is no play in it
P.S. rusty parts== PB blaster will be your best friend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S&S, 226 - thanks for the explanation. I dropped the front today and its still vibrating so yes will do the rear tomorrow or day after. The fronts need to go anyway so I'll be getting them done too.

Spdu4ia, Sooooo, it's a u-joint, or several u-joints, and I'm worrying for no reason, and just change the damn u-joints. I got it ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts