Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got the email that the bumper is on it's way! Woohoo! Now, what do I need in advance before I do the install? Do I need to get lugnuts or are they provided? Anything else? Anybody have a list of what tools are needed? I live in a condo so I need to bring my tools to my parents house and I don't want to bring the ENTIRE toolbox if all I need is a socket wrench.

Thanks

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey there,
The tools needed are very minimal and are listed with the instructions that come with the bumper.
Comes with lug nuts and necessary bolts and nuts.
There's a How-to for this in this web site,,,too.
Now,,,,what I found was that our friends at Nissan got really carried away with tightening the bolts for the stock bumper.
( Personally, I would go out and spray the existing bolts with liquid wrench, now. )
For some reason, I seem to remember that the wrench size is 17 and 19 mm. Bring the long breaker bar and sockets as well as wrenches.
It's a real easy install.
Also, you could call Shrockworks tomarrow morning and talk to Jim or one of the other guys,,,,,,really nice people !
Oh yeah, you will find that you only need one bulb for the license plate, I removed the other one and sealed the harness with black tape.
Bring zip ties with you to secure the wire harness.
Enjoy !
Jim B

·
on line
123 Posts
Congrats, how long ago did you place your order?

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered my rear on Dec. 4th.

Thanks, prod for the info.

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so much for a one person job in an hour. It took me and a friend 5 hours. :) But, all in all, the rear bumper is a FANTASTIC product. I got it in gray and it looks beautiful.

Here's a list of some problems I had. Keep in mind, I'm not that handy a person. I also live in an apartment so I took what tools I thought I would need (hence my original email asking for help) to my parents house (no tools) where the bumper was shipped to.

I figured I'd list them so the next guy attempting the install can benefit:

- Start spraying that WD-40 a day or two before the install. I did that and the bolts holding the stock bumper came off easily.

- Use anti-seize when putting all the hardware back on.

- You'll need a really big socket to attach the big-ass nut to the big-ass bolt that attaches the tire carrier to the bumper. I didn't have a socket size that big, so I used a pipe wrench. A rubber mallet helps, too, to pound that bolt through it all.

- We had problems closing the tire carrier with the latch. It just wouldn't line up. We tried everything from loosening *everything* to trying to shave down the latch with a Dremel. It ended up being the Nylon Gate Sliders (the vertical piece, not the horizontal one) found in Step 3 of the instructions that was the problem. Removed that and it latched perfectly. Of course without that piece, the carrier hits the bumper when driving so I stuck a piece of that felt furniture sliding pieces there temporarily.

- While the bumper is off, remove the chain assembly that winches the spare up and down. There are two 12mm bolts on the top. Get those and the whole thing comes out.

- MC's directions are dead-on.

I hope that helps the next noob attempting the bumper install. If I had to do it again, I think I can do it in an hour.

·
on line
463 Posts
Well, Hey there !!! Congradulations on the Grey color !
We are the few !
Glad you got it on after the grief. Can you shave the shim that came from Shrock to replace the felt ?

For What it's worth, I have a garage and the X doesn't fit in. Too much
" Stuff" and the doors are too low !
Ho Hum,,,Sorry!
It's the burden we bare.
Later !

Jim B

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well thanks for the directions are dead on comment. I'll be more mindful of times from now on. I have a shop with like years and years worth of tools and all that stuff in in the tool room. I think I should mention something about the Big NUT, I was pretty surprised I had to dig that socket set out. I'll update my directions soon. Thanks. MC

·
on line
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, a problem I'm having is that one of the studs for the spare doesn't allow the lugnut to thread correctly. I think it might be the powdercoat. Should I force a lugnut on it to see if it will correct? Right now, I just have two holding it. It should hold ok for now, right?

I'm also thinking of removing the McGard locks from the other wheels to lock up the spare. Good idea? Or do I be careful because most of the X's I see on the street or S and they might be jealous of my OR wheels?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not tried it, but the threads on the tire carrier might not be the same as the actual lugs. Jim sends three lug nuts with the tire carrier to hold the tire on.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
My threads were the same, I use the locking nuts from my other set of wheels on the spare. Good Idea or make a lock as I describe in the post. But be mindful, if they can reach around and loosed the nuts on the slider for the spare, they still can have your spare. Locking the rack helps. MC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts