Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at swapping my rear bumper for a while now, and I've been pretty confident that I was going to order one from Maxterra. But recently a friend of mine opened up a fabrication shop and we were talking about the bumper on the Xterra. Anyways, an idea that came up to incorporate a drawer into the rear bumper - like the PCOR beds. I think it would be a pretty cool thing to try out, considering after you relocate your spare from under the car to the back of the X you end up with a huge cavity of empty space. The downside to this is of course rigidity and strength - there is the chance if you slam the bumper on a rock you could damage the drawer. Another downside could be the added weight. We're just talking about it right now, but we might make one and see how it goes. I wanted to post here to see what you guys think. Throwing a pic below of the PCOR version of what I'm talking about for reference.

I'm just thinking that would be a great locking spot, that's pretty well hidden to store tools, spare parts, and fluids. As a bonus you could place a cover over it to make it into a working table.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that's a great idea! True story about the amount of space under there. Would be an awesome place for quick recovery equipment and some hand tools. L

Looking forward to the project!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Most folks go for the tools when the bumpers in the ground or mud. My point is cool spot for stuff until it’s blocked by something else. Still neat idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
211 Posts
Collapsible table with drop down legs, strong enough to support a chubby, middle-aged man, for a good night's sleep because the wife and kids took the bed inside.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Cool idea, may not be great if you find yourself fording a river or water crossing.. could get mud/ water in there which could lead to rusted tools/ equipment. now, if you could make the table top cover sealed and water tight that might solve the issue, however then its getting more complicated/ expsensive

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool idea, may not be great if you find yourself fording a river or water crossing.. could get mud/ water in there which could lead to rusted tools/ equipment. now, if you could make the table top cover sealed and water tight that might solve the issue, however then its getting more complicated/ expsensive
It might be hard to explain with words but I'm going to try my best here. What you do is build a box that the drawer seals closed against, basically a hollow cavity that the sliders for the drawer mount to, and at the front of it there is a rubber gasket/seal. When you close the drawer the pressure from the latch should be sufficient to keep the seal tight and prevent water from entering. You can kind of see what I'm talking about in the picture above.

That being said, I did consider a table for a minute, and I think it would be pretty neat - but I dunno my buddy and I are doing a project on the X this weekend (can't wait to show ya'll!) and then we are going to pull off the bumper and start looking at what we can and can't do.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm interested to see how this goes as well. Are you planning to have rear recovery points? I would think keeping those strong enough could be a challenge if you're cutting a large section out of the middle. How about a 2" receiver? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm interested to see how this goes as well. Are you planning to have rear recovery points? I would think keeping those strong enough could be a challenge if you're cutting a large section out of the middle. How about a 2" receiver? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
So I was ok with ditching the receiver in the back because I don't tow anything and probably never will, but my buddy he really wants to keep it in there so if it's possible to keep the receiver we will. Recovery points will absolutely go on, they will be welded over the bracket support that attaches the bumper to the frame - so they will pretty much be at the strongest, most reinforced area on the bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts