Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I love the Shrockworks stuff and am waiting for my rear bumper to ship. It did take me a while to justify close to $1000 though. There is a lower cost alternative available now. It is a swing-away rear tire mount that connects through a hitch receiver.
http://www.tiregate.com/hg.shtml
It looks pretty cool and is only $330 according to 4 Wheel Drive Parts (in the June 2007 Off-Road Adventures "magazine", pg 74), though MSRP is listed as $690 on the web site. I suspect that it would rattle like hell, but there are anti-rattle add-ons you can get for a standard receiver. A nice thing about this tire carrier (other than the price) is that you could move it to another truck or sell it to someone who has something other than an Xterra when you upgrade to the Shrockworks bumper. Downsides are no recovery points, no increase in departure angle (probably a decrease) like you get with Jim's, and the potential for rattling.

·
on line
589 Posts
kneebuster said:
Downsides are no recovery points, no increase in departure angle (probably a decrease) like you get with Jim's, and the potential for rattling.
It is a nice affordable second choice aesthetically; but the appeal of the Shrockworks bumper is the options for hi-lift mount, CB tab; and mostly that departure angle/recovery points. Last run I went on with the SCCX I think that almost half of the X's with hitches broke off their plug mount. This thing looks alright, but it seems that 'looks' would be all one would get out of it.

Still, always nice to have options. Nice find Kneebuster!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
while i am a fan of cheaper effective add-ons, i don't know about this one....it seems unstable to me (doubt it would break, but it seems like it would wobble back and forth a lot)...also i don't like how far the tire is positioned off the back of the truck

just my opinion, otherwise an interesting upgrade

·
on line
358 Posts
Not bad at $330 but the website shows it at $690. At $690 I would go with the Shrock bumper for a little more. I'm not sure if I like the distance between the spare and the hatch. Pretty cool that you can still tow with it on. Also additional length to drag on the trail.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
chrishaynesusa said:
I like it . but for the money..... I would go with Shrock or Calmini

I have the Calmini. it rattles. but i like it. I don't think it is going anywhere.
is the rattle from the calmini preventable with any kind of mod?

I have been eyeing calmini for the bumpers but I am on the fence because there are not a lot of people here who own them.

also, were there any problems with installation?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped by my local 4 wheel parts for some deflators and a patch kit and asked about this bumper. It wasn't in their system yet. After a couple of calls the guy told me that their cost would be just under $500. So, there is no way this thing is selling for $330. He thinks that the "magazine" had a typo. It would seem that a selling price in the $600 range is more realistic. For that price I think that Shrockworks is definitely the way to go.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts